Dell Dimension (DIME521)
AMD Athlon 64X2
Core Processor 4200+
2.2 GHz, 1.00 GB RAM
PhysicalAddress Extension
Running w/MS XP Professional, sp2
IE 6
Norton AVP

Since I bought it the modem has always run for a while and then is not able to log onto any url. I get one of those standard Page Not Available popups.

The people at Dell have replaced the modem once but the problem continues and all they give me is the run around for 9 months.

My local tech man says that nothing can be done.

I ran MS XP Professional, sp2 with IE6 and Norton AVP
on my previous PC but I can not understand why this will not work.

Could you possibly help?

Hopefully,
Country Boy

What kind of modem are we talking about? Dial-up, DSL, cable...?

Try contacting your ISP.

Thank you for taking the time to resolve this issue.......

Internal Modem: Conexant D850 56K V.9X DFVc

I use a local isp in my area and they are very reliable: Computer.Net. They have checked out all their modems and all is fine.

i know this is the weirdest idea for a solution, BUT i had a problem for a year and a half where my dial up could NOT connect it would dial, handshake, then hang, and die. I talked to HP, MSN, AOL, Microsoft, everyone, even had people come and replace the modem. the hardware people blamed the software, and the software people blamed the hardware. you know wat it was? In the BIOS, i can change how much memory is allocated for video use. At the time, the options were 2, 4, and 8 megs. The modem only connected if it was set on the default setting of 4 megs. never would have thought that was the problem, but it was. Try going into your BIOS and resetting to ur default settings, i know it's weird, and it's a long shot, but might as well try it right?

Just for the record, by this point in the search process I will accept Anything if it works. Really; I am not kidding.

However I do not have the slightest idea how to go into my bios and do what you have suggested.

Do you know how I might identify what driver I currently have for my
Conexant D850 56K V.9X DFVc?

Thanks.

Country Boy

Well i can walk u thru the process here.. or on AIM or the phone or somethign, it's a little tedious, and could be a long read, so my aim is djmaddogfreak and if u wanna call, just send me a private message on here or aim and i will give u my number.

dj,

I think you are great to offer and I am sincerely grateful but I am afraid even with your hand holding I would make a mistake and mess things up. I just do not trust myself in the Bios arena.

But thank you anyway.

Country Boy

John here, customer advocate at Dell headquarters.

Resetting your BIOS to default is quite easy on the Dimension E521. Simply do the following:

At the Dell splash screen during startup, hit the F2 key
When the system setup screen appears, hold alt and hit the F key.

If this doesn't work for some reason, navigate to the Maintenance section in the menu on the left side, and in that section is the option to load defaults.

If you need any help beyond this, please let me know.

John
Dell Customer Advocate
customer_advocate@dell.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom