Mobo wont recognize hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycopuppy

Baseband Member
Hi guys, I've got a head scratcher for you. I got a Dell Dimension 4550 from work (it was free) So I take it home and it works fine. I take the hd out of there and and replace it with a different hd I had that I know works. Nothing. It gets to the Dell logo screen and hangs. I put the origional hd back in and it works fine. I can not keep this hd because my job needs it. I have checked the jumpers in the back to see if they were different and the origional hd didnt have one installed so I took the jumper out of the other hd and it stil dosent work. Any ideas?

And yes everything is plugged in all nice and snug and I can feel the hd starting up so I dont think it is a power problem.

Are you able to get into the bios to see if your hard drive detects?

Is your hard drive empty(formatted), if it's not maybe it's causing it to hang because of changes from your old system to the new dell.

Are you able to get into the bios to see if your hard drive detects?

Is your hard drive empty(formatted), if it's not maybe it's causing it to hang because of changes from your old system to the new dell.

I am able to get into bios. However, I do not know what to look for once I get in to see if the hd is decteded.

And my hd is not formatted, I pulled it off of a comp that I had recently wiped clean and reinstalled the os. Does it need to be formatted? What about flashing the mobo with the cmos battery? Would that work?

Removing the battery only clears the settings in the bios so that won't really help.

When in the bios, just look for anything that says the model of the HD, if anything is there than it's been detected.

I think the problem is your hard drives OS, is currently configured with drivers, information, etc... about your other computer. Thus when you try to start it up on the Dell, their is a mismatch of the drivers, information of the system.

If you have a window's disk than maybe you can do a repair of the OS, maybe that will help. However it's better to have the hard drive formatted and start fresh when putting it onto another computer, so it doesn't have old information which could cause problems later on.

I am able to get into bios. However, I do not know what to look for once I get in to see if the hd is decteded.

And my hd is not formatted, I pulled it off of a comp that I had recently wiped clean and reinstalled the os. Does it need to be formatted? What about flashing the mobo with the cmos battery? Would that work?

IT WORKED!!! had to wipe the hard drive but now i have 2 computers up and running. Thanx all!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom