Mobo and Thermal Paste Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Method

In Runtime
Hi there.

Am in the process of building a new rig (1st time) and have two questions on my mind.

1 - My mobo is an 'ASUS P5KC AiLifestyle Series iP35 Socket' and am wondering will I need rubber washers for the screws to screw it to the case or does this motherboard have the little bits of metal that ground the screws/current/whatever around the screw holes (new to this so bare with me:eek:)

2 - How do you know how much thermal paste to apply, im a little worried. Are there any sort of guides or indications as to how much to apply. And also, should you spread it or just put a dollop on in the middle and leave it.

Cheers

- Will

most mobo's and sometimes cases (maybe?) come with the screws to hold it in that ground it

and thermal grease, one way is to put a grain of rice size piece on it and then place your heatsink and it'll spread

Cool thanks, its quite a new mobo and the screw holes appear to have some type of circle of small circles of metal around it, perhaps this is for grounding.

Cheers for the info on the thermal paste mate. So you dont need to put on too much at all really, and not even spread it? The heatsink will do it when you put it on?

Cheers mate had a quick read and that helped a lot. Much appreicated.

I was just worried about the mobo as Ive heard things like the screws touching the case without being able to ground and shorting/frying the mobo as thats why you need washers. Or is this simply not the case?

Nah, whenever people have had shorts, its usually because the motherboard tray is bent and actually touching it. Or they forget to use the brass spacers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom