MoBo Prolem

spike47

Baseband Member
HI Everyone

I seem to have created a fault on my MoBo , My Northbridge ( I think ) chip kept getting hot ! , above 65 then my PC would switch off off , so I thought I would try and fix the problem , I removed the MoBo and took the heatsink off my CPU and the Northbridge chip and cleaned them both and re-applied thermal paste connected my MoBo up then switched on , I noticed that the HDD drive light CPU fan was running , but not the normal boot up noise like loading from the HDD .

Anyway I had look at the Mobo and I had forgot to plug in the 4 pin lead that goes into my Motherboard however when I done that the PC switched off , so I unplugged the power lead and switched it on again the fan sort of flickered on then nothing , if I unplug that 4 pin lead it will start up like I explained at the beginning of this Story ( sorry) but not load up .

I had been very,very carefull with the MoBo when I removed it .

spike

HI Everyone

I seem to have created a fault on my MoBo , My Northbridge ( I think ) chip kept getting hot ! , above 65 then my PC would switch off off , so I thought I would try and fix the problem , I removed the MoBo and took the heatsink off my CPU and the Northbridge chip and cleaned them both and re-applied thermal paste connected my MoBo up then switched on , I noticed that the HDD drive light CPU fan was running , but not the normal boot up noise like loading from the HDD .

Anyway I had look at the Mobo and I had forgot to plug in the 4 pin lead that goes into my Motherboard however when I done that the PC switched off , so I unplugged the power lead and switched it on again the fan sort of flickered on then nothing , if I unplug that 4 pin lead it will start up like I explained at the beginning of this Story ( sorry) but not load up .

I had been very,very carefull with the MoBo when I removed it .

spike

So, when you removed your motherboard and applied your grease.
How exactly did you put your mobo in if you don't mind me asking ?
It sounds like is shorting out the mobo.
Make sure not screw in the screw drivers to tight.
Make sure your wires pw, rst switch hdd led switch is in the same order before you took it out.

If that all that doesn't still help trying clearing out cmos, by removiing the battery.
I or someone will explain that to you, if you don't know how to.

Lastly wat kind of board do you have and what cpu do you have ?

Hi MikeTech

Yes I am sure you are correct that there is a short somewhere , but where that is the question .
I did not remove the front panel connections , did not need to , on my pc you just take one side panel off and then there is another panel with 2 screws that just comes away with the MoBo on it , so I just laid it down with the front panel connectors still connected at the rear of the panel .

The short I think is with the 8 pin 12v CPU socket on the MoBo ! , ( I have a 4 pin to 8 pin adapter ) , I have done a quick test with my Ohm Meter last night and it seems that all the 8 pins are going to Earth , very strange is it not .

I have had a good look around the MoBo and I can not see any heat/burn marks , all the Caps seem to be ok .
But I have obviously done one something wrong but what I do not know , I have a bit of a hobby buying Laptops from ebay repairing them then reselling them ,so I am a bit conversant with motherboards etc .

Anyway thank you for your time and reply , I will try what you have said , I am off to work now so will give it a go when I return home , ( I have a half day today ) .

cheers and thanks to everyone , will keep you posted.

spike

Hi again sorry forgot to give the MoBo info .

MoBo : Foxconn 946GZ7MA , CPU: Socket LGA 775 3Ghz Intel Pentium , Ram: 2 GIG DDR2 ,

PSU: 450W .

Windows 7 32bit .

note: The MoBo has a 8 pin connector for CPU power , but my PSU only has a 4 pin plug so I am using a 4 pin to 8 pin adapter ! .also the PSU has a 20 pin motherboard connector but motherboard has a 24 Pin socket so I am using a adapter from 20 to 24 .been using this configuration for about 2 months . ( I was going to get another PSU 550 W )

Hi again sorry forgot to give the MoBo info .

MoBo : Foxconn 946GZ7MA , CPU: Socket LGA 775 3Ghz Intel Pentium , Ram: 2 GIG DDR2 ,

PSU: 450W .

Windows 7 32bit .

note: The MoBo has a 8 pin connector for CPU power , but my PSU only has a 4 pin plug so I am using a 4 pin to 8 pin adapter ! .also the PSU has a 20 pin motherboard connector but motherboard has a 24 Pin socket so I am using a adapter from 20 to 24 .been using this configuration for about 2 months . ( I was going to get another PSU 550 W )

You wouldn't believe me if I told you, but I used to own that motherboard.
Celery D 347 all the way up celery dual core e1400, then it just died in one year. :(
Your current problem maybe a short, trying powering on your machine.
Lift the motherboard a little bit on the right edge and see if it doesn't begin to kick on.
Make sure you have no dust or loose screws inside the case, that will be the first thing to stop it from booting.
Also you never specify a psu, check the label and host it up soon.

This is new:
Newegg.com - EVGA 100-W1-500-KR 500W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

I prefer you get this since your machine is not that power hungry or needy like ppmguires Intels 4770k. :D
LEPA N Series N500-SA 500W ATX12V Power Supply - Newegg.com

So, when you removed your motherboard and applied your grease.
How exactly did you put your mobo in if you don't mind me asking ?
It sounds like is shorting out the mobo.
Make sure not screw in the screw drivers to tight.
Make sure your wires pw, rst switch hdd led switch is in the same order before you took it out.

If that all that doesn't still help trying clearing out cmos, by removiing the battery.
I or someone will explain that to you, if you don't know how to.

Lastly what kind of board do you have and what cpu do you have ?

Hi MikeTech

well would you believe it , cleared out the cmos memory , switched on and Whalla we have lift off , I can not believe It but you have solved my problem , thank you so very much , I definitely would not of thought of doing that , how would that have given the short to earth , and it was a short because when I took the 8 pin connector of there was some heat marks on the back lead .

well anyway sorted now , will still have to get another higher power PSU though , but saved me buying a new MoBo , its not high spec but it does me for now.

Thanks again and merry Christmas to all .

spike

Back
Top Bottom