Mobo Help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Mobo Help

Hi, recently got my cousins old AMD dual core machine, but he wiped everything before i received it, he gave me a driver disk and a floppy. the cd has the motherboard drivers, and the floppy has the sata drivers. At first the computer wouldn't read the hard drive so it wouldn't install windows, but now once windows finished installing, it wont boot into windows i just get the blue screen of death with error messages. If anyone can tell me the steps to install the drivers and windows it would be really helpful.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: Mobo Help

when you say wipe do you mean a complete format or just delete? theres serveral problems why you get that error. bootsector virus, device driver problems or hardware issues.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

my guess would be that he reformatted it, but not exactly sure. I'm guessing it has to do w/ me doing the drivers since I've never done it before.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

well then, if you have his reinstall CD then go ahead and repartition the hard drive and format it to the NTFS system just in case. reinstall and see if u get that same error again you really shouldnt have to use any drivers till you get to windows starting up.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

it can't find the hard drive when i fresh install.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

have you checked your jumper settings on the HDD? make sure its set to master.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I'll pop it open and check the jumper settings, but i took a pic of the first start up part. "-Detecting Pri Master..ATAPI CDROM" but then "-Detecting Pri Slave..Not Detected" does the second part mean anything?
Old 09-07-2008, 05:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate_bob7 View Post
I'll pop it open and check the jumper settings, but i took a pic of the first start up part. "-Detecting Pri Master..ATAPI CDROM" but then "-Detecting Pri Slave..Not Detected" does the second part mean anything?
No. It just means you have room for another burner or hard drive.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

that screen shows me that your hard drive is not being detected. if your using an IDE and cdrom and have 2 IDE channels, look at the hard drive and make sure its on master and your using the top end of the ribbon cable and your cd rom drive is not on the same ribbon, you cant have 2 masters on the same IDE (ribbon) channel.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Thanks for all the help, i got it running, turns out i was selecting the wrong choice for non-logo drivers while installing xp. and power cable for the Hd was slightly loose.

Closed Thread