mobo beeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richski

Beta member
Hi Guys,

My old WinFast motherboard gave up the other day, and I'm trying to replace it with a Gigabyte 7NF-RZ. However, when I connect it up it emits 1 high beep and then a low beep and then it repeats itself before turning itself off. I've checked and it has the AWARD bios on it but I have no idea what could be wrong. I've replaced the RAM, checked the CPU on another machine, checked the graphics card, checked the Hard drive. All the fans and everything power on but it emits the beeps and then shuts down. Anyone with any ideas would be greatly recieved!

thanks

What are your complete system specs?

There are a few award BIOS'

One of them states: Repeating High/Low CPU Either the CPU is not seated properly or the CPU is damaged. May also be due to excess heat. Check the CPU fan or BIOS settings for proper fan speed.

Check that the 12v (4 pin) is connected and that you have plugged in the HS fan power cable is in. This could be the motherboard does not support the CPU and requires a BIOS flash.

Thanks guys, that could be a real possibility, as the graphics card is pretty old. The system specs are:

Gigabyte 7NF-RZ motherboard
512 MB DDR RAM
CD-RW
Nvidia AGP graphics (64MB - can't remember exactly off the top of my head).
AMD Athlon 1000MHz.

One thing I've never done is a BIOS flash. Is it fairly easy? I've just downloaded the latest BIOS version for the motherboard so wouldn't mind giving this a go...

I have only flashed a BIOS once, and all I did was stick a floppy in the drive with the BIOS on and it did it its self.

If you have a floppy drive, the light on it will go on to tell you it is wanting something from it. :p

cool, thanks. I've just downloaded the BIOS for it so I'll give it a bash. can't do it any worse...

Thanks for the link above - had a look and the beep codes and Trifid - you were spot on, it indicated an improperly seated CPU / damaged CPU. I replaced the old AMD Sempron with an AMD Athlon and it booted first time. Problem solved. No need for a BIOS flash then! If only everything was this easy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom