Missing something here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
I am upgrading from my current setup to a different mobo, CPU, and RAM (P5Q Pro, Q6600, DDR2).All other components are the same. I pulled my stuff last night and put in the new parts but couldn't get it to give me a display to see whether it actually booted or not (attempting to boot to the BIOS).

I am using a 4-pin mobo connection instead of an eight, but the original owner looks to have done the same as the plug is still in the other four holes, so this shouldn't be a problem. I have double checked my power connections. The computer is currently sitting there running (all fans at least, including the GTX 260) but I have no display output. The card is good (or was when I pulled it from the old setup).

Since it has been ages since I messed with Intel I don't remember if I was supposed to do anything extra or not.

Any ideas?

try unplugging components. If you have to unplug the vid card and memory just to see if it will beep.

Pull the cpu and double check for bent pins or a contaminant (dust, paste, etc...)

Don't quads need the 8 pin? Duals could get away with the 4 pin, but quads need 8 pin, is what I had understood from readings.

I am using a q6600 and I only have the 4 pin plugged in to the mobo. My mobo does not have an 8 pin connection for the cpu.

Trotter, does it post when you first turn it on? It should give you some kind of beep. Do you have a another video card to test it out?

No beeps, so I am thinking no speaker.

I'm out of thermal paste, so pulling the CPU means dropping my old setup back in since the cooler is still mounted. The pins on the mobo looked good before I dropped the CPU in, though.

If I have to go 8-pin I will have to find an adapter as my PSU doesn't have an 8-pin (that I know of).

I'll play around with it here in a couple of minutes.

I downloaded the manual and it says a speaker is needed to hear the beeps. I forgot how cheap manufacturers can get, it seems like a speaker would only cost a few cents when you ordered them 100,000 or a million at a time.

I do have an 8-pin after all... no difference. I finally pulled it out and put my old stuff back in for now. 24 hours without my rig was more than enough. :D

I may try to get it to fire up outside the case and see what I was missing, but that will be another day (or week).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom