Missing NTLDR after Flashing BIOS - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 04-15-2006, 02:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Missing NTLDR after Flashing BIOS

I flashed my ASUS A8N5X motherboard using the updater that was given on the driver cd. I updated the BIOS to rev 902. When I tried to boot I got an error saying "NTLDR is missing press ctrl-alt=del to restart" and it did that over and over. I typed in the error in google, on another pc, it said to copy the ntldr and ntdetect from the XP install cd to c:\. So I did that and it seemed to work. When I removed the cd from the drive and tried to boot it did the same thing. So here is what is going on:
When I boot with the XP CD in the drive and do not boot from the cd I can go into Windows.
When I boot without the XP CD in the drive I get the "missing NTLDR" error and cannot boot into Windows.

This is an inconvenience. How should I fix this? Thank you very much

Windows XP SP2
ASUS A8N5X Motherboard
AMD 64 3700+
EVGA nVidia 6800GS
1Gig of RAM

Old 04-15-2006, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Try booting off the windows cd and doing a repair, that replaces the system files and will probably fix this.

A+ certified.
I now am on the interweb:
Old 04-15-2006, 05:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

its always safer to update it from dos , anyway if you got more then one hard drive make sure the boot order is set right , if thats not it then youll have to do a repair install , see this guide
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm (data/installed drivers & programs & settings will remain intact)
Old 04-15-2006, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I tried all the things that you suggested (except for updating in dos). and nothing worked. However I downgraded the bios to the previous version and now it works fine. I guess that version conflicted with my hardware. I emailed ASUS. Thanks for your help though
Closed Thread