Missing or corrupt files

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrystalClear

Beta member
I have several new laptops running in a school environment (Windows XP Sp3) that are coming up with the system32\config\system file is missing or corrupt message. I know how to repair this but my question is does anyone know how or why this is happening? It has happened on 4 out of 30 so far but I would like to prevent it from happening on the others if possible.

I usually see that error occur when a hard drive is failing. Check the drives with the appropriate tool from the manufacturer of the hard drive for bad sectors. They may need to be replaced.

This could be for a number of reasons. The main one would be that someone downloaded and installed some software that affected some system files. Not knowing what the situation is it is hard to determine what has happened.

I mean seeing as 4 machines got this issue already have you been able to isolate where the machines were located, who was operating them when it occured and if there was anything installed on the machine not on there when you had sent them out to be used?

For all we know someone could have been messing with the system files to cause this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom