Missing or corrupt files - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2009, 01:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question Missing or corrupt files

I have several new laptops running in a school environment (Windows XP Sp3) that are coming up with the system32\config\system file is missing or corrupt message. I know how to repair this but my question is does anyone know how or why this is happening? It has happened on 4 out of 30 so far but I would like to prevent it from happening on the others if possible.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Missing or corrupt files

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Happened to one more last week.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I usually see that error occur when a hard drive is failing. Check the drives with the appropriate tool from the manufacturer of the hard drive for bad sectors. They may need to be replaced.
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 :: INTEL i7 920 @3.4 :: XFX GTX260 :: 6gb Corsair 1600 :: Corsair 750TX :: TRUE 120 :: Samsung T240 24" :: Windows 7 X64

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 11-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

They are dell Inspirons just purchased in August and deployed in Sept.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

This could be for a number of reasons. The main one would be that someone downloaded and installed some software that affected some system files. Not knowing what the situation is it is hard to determine what has happened.

I mean seeing as 4 machines got this issue already have you been able to isolate where the machines were located, who was operating them when it occured and if there was anything installed on the machine not on there when you had sent them out to be used?

For all we know someone could have been messing with the system files to cause this.
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread