Might Need Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiomaX

Beta member
Hey guys,

I am looking for a little guidance before I fork out the money on a new motherboard. The problem started with crashing out of Starcraft 2. That only happened a couple times and it is a new game so I did not think anything of it. Next I would see distortion like white lines when I would start the game but a reboot of the game would fix that.

The next thing that would start happening is when I would leave the computer on over night the monitor would be shut down the next morning. I would try to move the mouse and click the keyboard as if to wake it up but nothing would happen. I would have to reboot the computer with the button. Sometimes it would boot up and work find. Or it would boot and on the opening screen I would see that distorted white lines and have to reboot it again. It then got to where I would have to reboot several time to finally get it to come up.

I decided to do some maintenance. I pulled all my dust filters out and cleaned them. I pulled my two graphics cards out and clean the connection and fans thinking the distortion I had been seeing may have been a problem with those. I put the cards back in and connected everything. I tried to boot up the PC and now it does nothing. The power light comes on. The internal lights and all the fans come on but that is all it does. The monitor does not come on. The lights on my mouse or keyboard do not cycle as they use to when windows would start check the components. It is as if the processor does not start up to get the computer working.

Last night I started checking each component. I pulled the graphics cards out completely just to see if it would at least boot everything else but nothing happened. I swapped memory out with a working computer but still nothing. I put another processor in it from a working computer and still nothing. I put my processor in the other working computer to see if my processor was still working and that PC started booting as normal. I un hooked the DVD and the hard drive just to see if anything would change but the computer did the same exact thing. I have also re check all the connections over and over. And yet all it does is turn on the fans and lights but that is it.

In my opinion that leaves only two possibilities. Either the mother board is screwed or the power supply is failing. The motherboard is an Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe/WiFi-AP that is about three years old. The power supply is a Corsair single pole 850 watt that I have only had for a few months. I am leaning toward the motherboard. The power supply still seems strong and kicks everything on. It just seems like somehow nothing is getting to the processor to tell it to start up and process.

Please share your thoughts and opinions on what you think may have happened.

I would blame it on the PSU. For the SC2 problems, your gfx cards may be running too hot. Use HWMonitor to confirm that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom