Microphone Always On

Status
Not open for further replies.

sean53180

Solid State Member
Okay, my old microphone wouldn't work well with my new computer so i got a new sound blaster Live 24bit sound card. Well I update the software and went through the windows control panel to test my microphone but now my microphone is always on..its not affected by the playback controls or by anything. When im testing it or sometime when i play music it will pick up a sound and reverb over and over till it deafens me(im a bit deaf right now as is). So im wondering is it a hard ware problem or software? I mean my microphone wouldn't work till i update the software but now it doesn't turn off. The microphone is incorporated into my monitor, so perhaps i should try to buy another microphone??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Sean

it's not a problem at all........just double click the speaker down in your system tray.

Options>Properties

Make sure the 'Playback' radio button is selected

Then make sure theres a checkbox in the 'Microphone' below that, hit OK, and now you'll see a volume slider for your microphone in the master controls...just slide it all the way down or click mute

Still no effect..I muted Line-in, MIDI and CD Audio and the mic is still on. Ive resorted to just unplugging it , but that is a rather bad solution since i bought this sound card for my mic.

Sean

hey sean i just bought the exact same card the other day do you have any problems when unplugging your mic and plugging in your normal speakers, and vice versa i get a horible high pitch noise when i do it,i actualy have to turn off comp before switching, and for your mic goto start all programs,accesories,enteraiment volume control,hit options then hit properties make sure mic is ticked now a colum should come up for mic hit advanced and turn off the 20db boost this defanaly helps

Thanks MLR for the info it helped not to deafen me with the reverb, but the underlying problem is still there..For some reason the mic is always on instead of only coming on when a program requires it. I use Cool Edit pro for some classes and for the radio station i work at so i need to work something out..if i cant find a way to fix it i guess i will have to buy a different mic with an on/off switch.

Thank you,
Sean

hey sean do you have any problems when unplugging your mic and plugging in your normal speakers, and vice versa i get a horible high pitch noise when i do it,i actualy have to turn off comp before switching, i need to see if my card is faulty

no i just get a terrible reverb that builds up and i have to turn off the speakers or go deaf. I sent off an email to Creative about it ill post a copy of what they say.

Sean

try

Start > Run >sndvol32 > Options > Propertys > Playback >
Make sure the mic is checked. Hit ok, then mute the mic.
Now
Options > Propertys > Playback > Recording >
Make sure the mic is checked. Hit ok, then select the mic, or make sure its unmuted.

You should now broadcast on programs, but you shouldn't hear it, and thus it won't reverb. If you can still hear yourself, or if no one can hear you, then try a new sound card, because it may be defective.

ye thats the same kind of thing i get this cant be normal it never did it with my onboard sound hopefuly creative will sort it out cos its a right joke turning comp off then going round back to swap jacks about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom