Mic Hiss

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCase

Baseband Member
Hi

Whenever I turn my mic off mute through the volume control panel i get a really loud hiss and when I load a software like a game I can hear it going all different frequencies and the same when I scroll up and down in a website so its like I can hear my PC all I have to do is mute it again but its anoyying when I need to use my mic I like it off mute to hear the mic but I have this anoyying hiss so Ive come to the solution that my audio sound card isnt powerfull enough I have a Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi running on windows media center 2005

I was looking at this Creative SoundBlaster X-FI XtremeMusic OEM (30SB046000000)

the thing that is really good is one of the comments on the site about the hissing has gone, but Im not to sure and I need opinions its alot of money to spend then I still could still get the hissing but it could also it the mic. So any suggestions on a good mic would be great, im looking for something professional something I can put on a stand and point it down and speak into a bit like they use on the radio maybe this mic is good and professional enough

Shure - Wired Microphones - PG48 Vocal Microphone

Thanks

have you tried uninstalling the audio drivers and reinstalling the latest?

swapping out speakers?

moving the card to a different slot? it might be getting interferance from something

I just had a look and the Audio Card is resting on one of two of the Hard Drives also it is underneath a dail up modem wich is not used anymore and the audio card is above an blank AGP slot that AGP slot above that is my firewire there is also a lead from the audio card to the front of my pc where there are front headphones and mic sockets where I plug the headphones and mic into

Hope this information can help can you see anything that may cause interferance

Thanks

Computers in general are very noisy RF environments. Am I right in saying that you only get any sort of hiss/ interference when using a mic with the mic in jack on the card? Your audio out is fine when not using a mic?
Then it is the mic to blame. When you start stepping up to higher quality mics (xlr 3pin plug) a thing call a mic preamp is needed. Basically your sound card just doesn't have the right gain staging to proper amplify your mic noise free.

There are many units on the market that connect to your computer via usb. Then you connect your mic and the unit will show up on your computer as a sound card type device. This is probably the best choice for you.
Or
Get a pro level sound card (M-audio makes some great ones). The sound card actually comes in 2 parts. The PCI card that goes into your computer and via pinned cable a breakout box. The breakout box will have your 1/4 left and right input and 1/4 left and right output.
Then purchase a small portable mixing board which will have the preamp built in and connect output to input and input to output. Plug your headphones into the mixer that way you can monitor what is going into your sound card as well as what is coming out. Great for overdubbing when using the right multi track software.

I get the hiss wether the mic is plugged in or not so if I leave the mic out I still get the hiss and I have tryed on different mics all I get is hiss maybe the hard drive is causing interferance seeing as Audio Card and Hard Drive are very close

Oh Ok. I understood you wrong. Your current soundcard is the built-in type on your motherboard?
Yes upgrading to that Sound Blaster will give you a much cleaner signal and very little interference.
The integrated audio always seems to have more interference than a standalone pci card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom