message asking to hit f1 on start up imminent hardware failure - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2012, 01:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default message asking to hit f1 on start up imminent hardware failure

So I left my laptop on for a while 8 hours and I got a message asking me to backup because of imminent hardware failure. The message was for the Samsung hm461ij. My question is. If I leave my computer off for a while...a couple days maybe??? Might the message go away??? And should I bother replacing it?? Or get a new machine. This one is only one and a half years old...I really want it to survive a bit more. This is is the first time I have received the message. What should I do before committing to a system restore with the system disks?? And more importantly..., before I shell out money?? Please forgive my typos...I'm using my phone because I want the laptop off. Any info would be appreciated. Also this is my first time here, and I'm an idiot that needssimple terms

Thank you

Old 02-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Re: message asking to hit f1 on start up imminent hardware failure

Wow surprised nobody has answered this easy question yet. Your computer is informing you that your hard drive is coming to the end of it's life. You need to save the data on your hard drive that you want to keep to a CD, external hard drive, USB, or some other media. After which point, you should probably get a new hard drive to replace your one that's going to fail.

There is nothing else you can do. The hard drive is going to fail... no if's and's or but's.

Wouldn't really suggest buying a whole new laptop though... much cheaper to just replace the hard drive.

Check (best option) or (second best option) for a new hard drive.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: message asking to hit f1 on start up imminent hardware failure

+1 Get a new drive, pronto. What size do you need?

@Nevo- I was away, so no, I couldn't respond.
__________________ Steam Account
Closed Thread