Memtest failures...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So...I was chillin' at my computer, watching some frag videos when my computer completely locked up and my speakers began making looping screeching sounds.... I had to manually power off the pc. Re-booted and nothing seems visibly wrong....thoughts?

Edit: Ran memtest off of the boot CD, and it locked up on the first string of tests the first time, and the third string of tests the second time...producing many red errors.

So far I have bought 2 packs of memory for this motherboard and used one old set. The old set worked fine, and passed memtest with no errors or lock ups (Kingston Technology Company - Kingston Memory Search - Search Results for: KVR667D2N5K2/1G) <--link to older memory specs. Both new sets of memory have had these exact same errors....

The corsair is rated for 1066, but when I force the motherboard to run the memory at that speed it refuses to boot and gives me the following error code:
Error code 31 - Allocate memory for ADM module and uncompress it. Give control to ADM module for initialization. Initialize language and font modules for ADM. Activate ADM module.

^^ What the heck is that supposed to mean?

A few more questions:

Is there anything that could cause these issues that does not have to do with memory?
What BIOS settings (if any) could be changed to try and solve this problem?
What are the chances of getting 2 sets of faulty memory within days of each other?

When you tried to run the memory at 1066MHz what voltage did you set the memory to?

Your other questions:

Yes your motherboard can cause problems like this too.
Memory Voltage, Timings and Speed. CPU Voltage and Speed (if overclocking).
Not too likely but it has happened to me in the past.

I set the memory to the manufacturer's recommended voltage: 2.1v

I had the memory put in the slots like this:

Slots:
A1 A2 B1 B2

Was:
O | O | <-----Failed memtest, froze. (Memory placed in slots A1 and B1, with slots A2 and B2 empty.)

Is:
O O | | <-----Passes memtest repeatedly, no freezing yet. (Memory placed in slots A1 and A2, with slots B1 and B2 empty.)

The "O" represents where the memory is placed in the is/was field....

I haven't tried to set the memory to 1066 yet with the memory in the new slots... It is currently running @ 800, 5-5-5-15, 2.1v.

I'm trying to savor having my computer working fine for the first time in a week. I will try messing with the settings tomorrow in order to get my memory running at the manufacturer's recommended 1066, 5-5-5-15, 2.1v.

Try | O | O.

If the slot change passed memtest then your motherboard is acting up.

It turns out that the slots I had the memory in originally were for Dual Channel memory. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Edit: The Corsair Dominators that I have are supposedly dual channel.....doesn't make sense now. I hope its not the motherboard...that would mean I would be without a computer for about 1-2 weeks considering how long it takes to RMA something. What would changing the memory to | O | O prove?

The old memory I used when the new sticks were acting up worked fine and passed memtest in slots O | O |. Doesn't seem to make sense.

Changing the slots again would run them in dual-channel as well. So if the computer crashes with that setup as well it's the motherboard.

Would be much easier if you had a set that you were 100% sure were good.

But the computer ran fine with the old sticks of dual channel memory in slots O | O |. Wouldn't that be proof enough?

Edit: I swapped the corsair to | O | O. The same thing happened, froze during memtest. Does this mean that it is definitely the motherboard?

If so, what is the difference between running the memory in O O | | and O | O |? My computer seems to be running just fine....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom