Memtest failures...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordred

In Runtime
I recently ordered a few upgrades for my PC listed below.

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1267-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

I bought the Gskill to replace my dead crucial ballistix. The Gskill was running like crap and failing memtest. I returned the gskill and got the corsair. The corsair seems to be running fine (haven't tried it any games yet) but is failing memtest as well.

I have no idea what is going on right now, I'm about to flash the mobo's bios to see if that might help, but I am at my wits end.

I think it might be a setting I need to change on the bios, but I am not sure. Treat me like a computer n00b and PLEASE! list any and all ideas you have, no matter how much they might sound unlikely or like common sense.

Thanks guys.

Edit: Turns out the board came with the most recent BIOS.

If the new memory is also failing then it is most likely the memory. However there are rare cases that it is the motherboard. Where are you getting the memtest program from?

The motherboard has a built in memtest, but an old set of memory passed the test just fine. I figured that since I have had 2 brand new sets of memory in the past 4 days, and both failed memtest, it was either my error, or the motherboards.

Edit: Memtest 86 v. 2.01
And by failing memtest, I mean that memtest will actually freeze....I am forced to re-boot and start over. Sometimes I will receive errors during memtest, but so far it has always locked up on test #3.

....sure, I'll just do nothing for 8 hours while I wait...lol.
Do I run it from the disc in windows...or...?

No boot from the CD drive when restarting your computer. If I have to run MemTest I usually do it when sleeping :). You don't have to watch it.

Alright, thanks. Any other suggestions I can try while I'm waiting to get tired? I usually don't go to sleep for another 4-5 hours.

Edit: I burnt the ISO to a cd, but when I set my device boot priority, it never gives me the option to boot from disc....?

Check that the BIOS isn't defaulting to a low memory voltage, because sometimes that happens (and I'm not familiar with that board). Make sure the voltage in the BIOS is correct for whatever RAM you have (should say on the package or Newegg, or the manufacturer website).

Any special steps to burning the iso? I just dragged the file onto the cd drive and chose the option to burn to cd....not working when I boot windows with my cd drive as my primary device.

No you don't burn the ISO to a CD you burn the contents inside the ISO onto a CD. Use any basic program like Nero, Roxio, PowerISO etc. An ISO file is like a ZIP file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom