Memory Underclocked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2k4

In Runtime
I just got a 1 gig stick of Azen ram and it said it was 400Mhz, but when I look in CPU-Z it says its 200Mhz. See:
mhz.JPG

What is wrong? I do not have a second stick all I have is the 1 gig one. So it cannot be another stick underclocking it. Any ideas?

Nope, its DDR 400, not 400MHz. DDR = Double Data Rate. The original frequency is 200MHz which is "doubled" to get DDR400. PC3200 is the same as DDR400.

I'm no expert on memory timings, but those look like horrible timings to me. I think you might've been ripped off, but I wouldn't go berserk on the seller on my account. I hope other people can confirm or debunk this.

Also, as far as I know, there is no Azen company that sells RAM.

Uh, yea I think I'd like someone else to confirm this. Also I'm looking at the package right now and it says "Azen Ram" so yes it is made by Azen.

Flanker said:
Nope, its DDR 400, not 400MHz. DDR = Double Data Rate. The original frequency is 200MHz which is "doubled" to get DDR400. PC3200 is the same as DDR400.

I know I'm right about that part. There is no DDR memory right now that runs at 400MHz. DDR600 (300Mhz) is the max DDR memory goes, unless you overclock it higher, but even good quality DDR600 won't go to 400Mhz.

DDR2 is for Pentium 4s, that goes higher than 300Mhz, way higher. But as CPUz obviously confirms, you have DDR400 memory, not DDR2.

As for the RAM, I searched for that company as soon as I saw the name and didn't find one that made RAM. Then I searched for products from that company on Newegg.com and found a cooler...that was the only product made by the company available on the best Computer Hardware site on the internet.

I'd still like someone to confirm the RAM timings, I'm in no way an expert on that. But I do know what higher timings mean lesser performance.

OK, I googled the RAM again and found that it IS actually a RAM manufacturer, but it isn't a major company and people say that they have had problems with Azen RAM. Where did you buy this ram?

Flanker said:
OK, I googled the RAM again and found that it IS actually a RAM manufacturer, but it isn't a major company and people say that they have had problems with Azen RAM. Where did you buy this ram?
Uh, I got it at futureshop for 129.99CDN (After Rebates) I though it was a pretty damn good deal seeing how at the time I only had 1 stick of 512 clocked at 200Mhz. (Not DDR)

Oh well, I just played Garrysmod and found ou that with the extra memory the video reccomendation went up so I like that. I'm pretty impressed by the performance.

Yea, the google'd results also showed that people bought that from futureshop. It could be that I haven't heard of it because its a Canadian company, but Newegg.com still should've had it.

As for the timings, the timings don't make a huge deal of performance difference, hardly noticeable actually. But I would still like to see someone else's opinion on the timings, if only someone else would come in here! *hint hint*...

The timings are not the greatest, but they aren't as bad as what you're making them out to be I don't think. I have two 1 gig sticks in dual channel with timings like that (3-4-4-8) but I just pumped some more voltage through them, increased the MHz on them, and lowered the timings. I wouldn't have paid $129.99 for them though.

Like I said, I'm no master at timings. But those just didn't look good to me. I wouldn't be worried about the timings though, they don't make a huge difference, unlike the memory speed.

I'd say that with active cooling, a DFI NF4 board, and an A64 Venice, the G.Skill's with Samsung TCCD's could probabbly reach DDR800. they'd need a fair amount of power and maybe higher timings though.

but like said, the memory speed is supposed to be 200, which is DDR400. that's normal PC3200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom