Memory Underclocked? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 11:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Memory Underclocked?

I just got a 1 gig stick of Azen ram and it said it was 400Mhz, but when I look in CPU-Z it says its 200Mhz. See:
What is wrong? I do not have a second stick all I have is the 1 gig one. So it cannot be another stick underclocking it. Any ideas?

Old 08-26-2005, 11:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Flanker

Nope, its DDR 400, not 400MHz. DDR = Double Data Rate. The original frequency is 200MHz which is "doubled" to get DDR400. PC3200 is the same as DDR400.

I'm no expert on memory timings, but those look like horrible timings to me. I think you might've been ripped off, but I wouldn't go berserk on the seller on my account. I hope other people can confirm or debunk this.

Also, as far as I know, there is no Azen company that sells RAM.

Old 08-27-2005, 12:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Uh, yea I think I'd like someone else to confirm this. Also I'm looking at the package right now and it says "Azen Ram" so yes it is made by Azen.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Flanker
Nope, its DDR 400, not 400MHz. DDR = Double Data Rate. The original frequency is 200MHz which is "doubled" to get DDR400. PC3200 is the same as DDR400.
I know I'm right about that part. There is no DDR memory right now that runs at 400MHz. DDR600 (300Mhz) is the max DDR memory goes, unless you overclock it higher, but even good quality DDR600 won't go to 400Mhz.

DDR2 is for Pentium 4s, that goes higher than 300Mhz, way higher. But as CPUz obviously confirms, you have DDR400 memory, not DDR2.

As for the RAM, I searched for that company as soon as I saw the name and didn't find one that made RAM. Then I searched for products from that company on Newegg.com and found a cooler...that was the only product made by the company available on the best Computer Hardware site on the internet.

I'd still like someone to confirm the RAM timings, I'm in no way an expert on that. But I do know what higher timings mean lesser performance.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

OK, I googled the RAM again and found that it IS actually a RAM manufacturer, but it isn't a major company and people say that they have had problems with Azen RAM. Where did you buy this ram?
Old 08-27-2005, 01:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Flanker
OK, I googled the RAM again and found that it IS actually a RAM manufacturer, but it isn't a major company and people say that they have had problems with Azen RAM. Where did you buy this ram?
Uh, I got it at futureshop for 129.99CDN (After Rebates) I though it was a pretty damn good deal seeing how at the time I only had 1 stick of 512 clocked at 200Mhz. (Not DDR)

Oh well, I just played Garrysmod and found ou that with the extra memory the video reccomendation went up so I like that. I'm pretty impressed by the performance.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Yea, the google'd results also showed that people bought that from futureshop. It could be that I haven't heard of it because its a Canadian company, but Newegg.com still should've had it.

As for the timings, the timings don't make a huge deal of performance difference, hardly noticeable actually. But I would still like to see someone else's opinion on the timings, if only someone else would come in here! *hint hint*...
Old 08-27-2005, 03:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

The timings are not the greatest, but they aren't as bad as what you're making them out to be I don't think. I have two 1 gig sticks in dual channel with timings like that (3-4-4-8) but I just pumped some more voltage through them, increased the MHz on them, and lowered the timings. I wouldn't have paid $129.99 for them though.
2 GB DDR 400 (PC 3200) (2 x 1 GB sticks) (Dual Channel)
DVD player and seperate DVD RW drive
Floppy Drive
80 GB Western Digital Hard Drive
500 watt power supply
Sound Blaster Audigy
Logitech 5.1 surround sound speakers
SAMSUNG SyncMaster 710T LCD monitor
Aspire X Navigator Case
Old 08-27-2005, 04:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Like I said, I'm no master at timings. But those just didn't look good to me. I wouldn't be worried about the timings though, they don't make a huge difference, unlike the memory speed.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

I'd say that with active cooling, a DFI NF4 board, and an A64 Venice, the G.Skill's with Samsung TCCD's could probabbly reach DDR800. they'd need a fair amount of power and maybe higher timings though.

but like said, the memory speed is supposed to be 200, which is DDR400. that's normal PC3200