Memory Troubles :( - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 11:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Memory Troubles :(

Hey all, some of you might recall that a while ago I had just finished upgrading my computer after some trouble with RAM.

Anyway, when I upgraded one of the memory sticks was bad (my computer would start with it and then turn off after about 5 seconds) so I just ran with one until today when I was able to go back and exchange it. Now both sticks work BY THEMSELVES but not when I put them in together. It gives me the same issue of starting up then turning off after about 5 seconds. I am extremely confused and have no idea what to do.. I have tried both separately and that works and I have tried not running them in dual channel (placing one in the red slot and the other in the yellow) and that does not work. Please help!

Thanks in advance

Old 10-19-2007, 11:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Re: Memory Troubles :(

are they the same chip? like a 2x1gb package? cause it might be a case of dual channel doesn't like your ram setup.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired.

Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913

Are they the same chips?

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Yep they are the same chip. Wait, they came out of the same packet and were sold as a dual channel kit so I assume so.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

and you tried running them dual channel and that didn't work correct?
and have you tried putting them in the red channels?
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

The red channels? I put them both in yellow, both in red, one in red, one in yellow. None of them worked heh.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

so you've tried all different combos?
hm. thats wierd. try using just one stick and testing it in all 4 slots, then do the same with the other one. cause my ram is doing what yours is. i can run 1 fine, but 2 won't run, 1 slot is dead for some reason. I can't imagine that 3/4 slots on your mobo are trashed but it may be the case.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

I can run one stick in all the slots. I moved the one stick around and it boots fine in every slot : /. Does anyone know what the default voltage is? Maybe I have to step it up?
Old 10-20-2007, 12:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

do you have other ram you can test?

Old 10-20-2007, 12:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

Unfortunately no, this is the only set of DDRII RAM that I have.

Closed Thread