Memory Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would go with Vista 64 bit instead of the 64bit version of XP. XP pretty much will have no future support and doesn't really have much to begin with.

64 bit Vista is the way to go since drivers must be developed for the wide use of the OS and growing memory need. Otherwise, it will hurt their sales and anger customers.

I just installed vista 64 last night and actually had EVERY driver work right out of the box. Now if i can just get this 3 video card setup working i might stick with it a little longer than the hour or 2 it takes before i get too frustrated to bother.

No, even in my BIOS it says 3GB. The reason I am shaky on Vista x64 is because I do video editing and once I tried running the program I use on Vista and it didn't work (Media Studio Pro 8). Also LOTR Online didn't work, but I don't care about that cause I don't play it. I guess I will give Vista x64 a shot and see what happens. Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

Ya vista 64 had some compatibility issues with older programs when it first came out, but as time goes on it should get better. BTW, what board/memory are you using again? I know some of the old 650/680i boards had problems with seeing memory when all 4 slots were used. You might also need to update the bios.

I have an Asus P5B-E motherboard and am using Corsair XM2 (or sumtin) DDR2 800 RAM.

Today my problem got even worse. I had the 4 sticks in and my PC was running good for a couple of days, but today my video card stopped working. I thought I just lost $600, I tried switching cables, monitors, port on card, but then I took out the two sticks of RAM I put in earlier in the week and my computer worked fine. That's really wierd, I didn't think RAM could cause my video to stop working.

I am starting to worry that I need a bigger power supply. I have a 550W right now. I don't know exactly how much I need, how to figure out what needs power in my system and stuff. Does it seem like I need a new PS?

I updated my BIOS and got Vista Ultimate 64-bit and when I put in 4 GB RAM, my computer turns on, but nothing comes up on my monitor, and no beeps occur.

List your complete specifications. Your videocard is most likely dead and you'll to tell us the exact model of the PSU (wattage means nothing).

If you are only getting 3GB in the BIOS, you should check each stick to make sure one isn't dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom