Memory or Motherboard problem? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 01:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Memory or Motherboard problem?

Yes, manually set the ram values so the ram is running at the speed it should be.

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 07-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I set the timings manually, but I still am getting the same results.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lord Techie

It sounds like the cpu is overheating and producing errors which will cause the memory to also produce errors.

It depends, but on some motherboards the Memory Speed shown at the 1st post is actually just the Memory Ratio chosen. My post screen says 1066MHz but my Memory is actually running at 1600MHz.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for replying, but I can assure you the CPU isn't overheating. The CPU is running just a few degrees above room temperature, and its heatsink is cool to the touch. The heatsink has been secured in position for more than two years, so I know there's a proper thermal connection.

Also, I can leave it running for any amount of time in BIOS without it shutting off.

I'm at a loss here - I might just go kill $20 on a 1GB DDR2 stick and see if the problem lies with my memory or not. I just think it's too big a coincidence for all four sticks to fail simultaneously.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Hyper Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmseng View Post
Thanks for replying, but I can assure you the CPU isn't overheating. The CPU is running just a few degrees above room temperature, and its heatsink is cool to the touch. The heatsink has been secured in position for more than two years, so I know there's a proper thermal connection.

Also, I can leave it running for any amount of time in BIOS without it shutting off.

I'm at a loss here - I might just go kill $20 on a 1GB DDR2 stick and see if the problem lies with my memory or not. I just think it's too big a coincidence for all four sticks to fail simultaneously.
The cpu overheating still might be an issue if you haven't reapplied thermal paste in over 4 years it might be no wonder why you're over heating and the heat sink is cool, there might not be any decent connection between the 2 to distribute heat. I would look into the temps more in depth.

The cpu idling in the bios isn't necessarily going to produce enough heat to fail considering the cpu isn't doing all that much compared to running an OS the difference between idle in windows and idle bios can exceed 10c easy.

I'd listen to slay on this and investigate.
- Asus VG248QE - Corsair M60 & K90 -
Old 07-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Alright, I'll investigate the heatsink/fan and make sure everything's in order. I have some Arctic Silver lying around. Any idea why the temperature in the BIOS would be so far off, then? I mean, isn't the temp sensor basically right on the socket?
Old 07-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Hyper Techie

Quote:
Alright, I'll investigate the heatsink/fan and make sure everything's in order. I have some Arctic Silver lying around. Any idea why the temperature in the BIOS would be so far off, then? I mean, isn't the temp sensor basically right on the socket?
I just think it's worth the 5 minutes to check ya know

I'm not so sure it's off but when you start loading windows your going to see a lot of heat as the cpu draws its power where in bios it's still waiting for orders so its kind of just there doing basic numbers so it can be misleading to see your temps in bios

i hit low 30 in bios and in load i see 53.

you see 49 in bios and if we just for the sake of argument did the same numbers
we're looking at, at least 60
70-75 is unstable territory for some older machines
so you could be cutting it close
Old 07-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Hero View Post
I just think it's worth the 5 minutes to check ya know

I'm not so sure it's off but when you start loading windows your going to see a lot of heat as the cpu draws its power where in bios it's still waiting for orders so its kind of just there doing basic numbers so it can be misleading to see your temps in bios

i hit low 30 in bios and in load i see 53.

you see 49 in bios and if we just for the sake of argument did the same numbers
we're looking at, at least 60
70-75 is unstable territory for some older machines
so you could be cutting it close
My temps in Bios are actually 32-33 for the CPU, but I see what you mean now. I'm laying my PC open right now, I'll get back to ya soon.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Hyper Techie

Quote:
My temps in Bios are actually 32-33 for the CPU, but I see what you mean now. I'm laying my PC open right now, I'll get back to ya soon.
OH, ok, misread

But same general point.

Just let us know how it goes.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
Newb Techie

It'll be a bit...my thermaltake cooler is giving a fight against being secured to the mobo again....

Edit: this heatsink is dead to me. It's got little plastic notch-hooks that used to keep it secured to the mobo, but they won't resecure. They pop out after any pressure is applied. I'll pick up a new heatsink from Micro Center tomorrow and report back after it's installed. Thanks again.

Closed Thread