Memory lag problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 09-23-2005, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Memory lag problem

I have a problem with my computer where it just instantly starts to LAG. This happened when I started to download a files that were about a gigabyte from my friend. I have antivirus protection so I'm sure there are no viruses at all however, when I start to run intensive programs such as Counter-Strike, or two-three web browsers while watching something, I start to lag.

When I check my CPU usage, I only have 10 K of memory left, but when I go to my processes tab, everything looks normal.

Can anyone explain why my memory runs EXTREMLY short all of the sudden?

My specs:

P4 3.2 GhZ 55-
512MB DDR Ram
Asus P5P800 Motherboard

CPU temperatures reach over 60 degrees and this is normal.
The memory problem has only happened recently.

Thank you. =D

Old 09-23-2005, 06:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

it could be the antivirus scanning everything in the background? what antivirus have you got? i no ive come across a few systems that are slow for what they are and found the antivirus running and scanning everything as well as what you are running so that could eat you RAM away faster.

Aries A+ Hardware and Software Certified
Old 09-23-2005, 09:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

yea, backround prgrams like steam and anti virus slow pcs down alot. check in task manager how many processors are running and try to shutdown the ones you dont need.
ps. dont shutdown any of the ones that say system next to them.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

everything in the background is using less than 20K memory. Besides, I have 512 MB, which isn't decent, but plenty.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

copying files using the windows file transfer protocol really eats up ram. I lan alot and whenever i am leeching my ram gose down to about 80mb (i have 1gb). Quite normal when ur downloading over a lan but if it was a file or the internet there must be something wrong.
Closed Thread