Memory or hdd error, possibly psu?

Thresh25

Daemon Poster
So lately I have been having some random crashes and blue screens. It isn't all the time, it's really pretty random. It seems to have begun when I installed a new SSD.

Now I didn't really have room for this SSD in my case, so it's sort of just dangling inside. I have a smaller SSD that runs windows, this SSD just has games and data on it.

I'm not sure if the new SSD is sucking too much power and messing something up, or if its truly just a memory error.

Also, sometimes when my PC crashes, when I go to reboot it says that there isn't a drive to boot from. I go into BIOS and my SSD that has windows on it isn't an available option to select. I turn it off and wait awhile and then it'll be an option, but I have to go in and manually select that SSD to be my boot option.

I have no idea what's going on, it may be more than one problem. All help would be appreciated.

Probably should mount your ssd at least with duct tape lol. Make sure the sata connector and power are plugged in properly. Good place to start anyway

What are the BSOD's you're getting? Do you have the dump files under C:\Windows\Minidump? If so, copy them out of the directory, zip them up, and attach them here and I can analyze them.

I'm not sure what BSOD I'm getting, I'll pay closer attention next time.

I think I attached what you're looking for. thanks a lot i really appreciate it.

When I came home to my PC after being gone for about 5-6 hours, there was an error that said something along the lines of an application attempted to be executed that need memory or something then I clicked out of that and tried to do ctrl alt delete and an error popped up as well.

Edit: I tried uploading the zip file but its too large for the forum it says

edit 2: i think it worked, I had to make it 4 separate folders with different files in each. let me know if this was what you were looking for.
thanks again

Attachments

• minidump 1.zip
    90.7 KB · Views: 1
  • minidump 3.zip
    50.5 KB · Views: 2
  • minidump4.zip
    29.7 KB · Views: 1
  • minidump2.zip
    77 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Ok...so every one of them is 0xF4.

Firstly, I'd try checking if there are firmware updates for your SSD's.

After that, if there are no updates or you still receive BSOD's...download Memtest86+ from here:
http://www.memtest.org/

Burn the ISO to a disc, and let it run for a minimum of 4 hours (overnight is recommended). If there's any errors at all, then you'll need to track down the faulty RAM stick.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your help. Would a memory error explain why my ssd doesn't boot as well?

My SSD that I've had for a few years now is a Kingston that I've never had issues with until I installed this other SSD. (I do have a third separate regular hdd if that matters as well).

Is there a way to figure out exactly what model your SSD is? My new one I bought over Christmas break but now I'm back at school and the box would be back at home somewhere

edit: when I click that link it starts to load and then brings me to random websites completely unrelated instead.

Thanks a lot for your help. Would a memory error explain why my ssd doesn't boot as well?

My SSD that I've had for a few years now is a Kingston that I've never had issues with until I installed this other SSD. (I do have a third separate regular hdd if that matters as well).

Is there a way to figure out exactly what model your SSD is? My new one I bought over Christmas break but now I'm back at school and the box would be back at home somewhere
Physically look at the drive, or open up Device Manager -> Expand the HDD's section and do a search on the model that shows up.

edit: when I click that link it starts to load and then brings me to random websites completely unrelated instead.

Oops! Sorry about that - fixed the link.

This is the PNY ssd that I have
ssd2sc240g1sa754d117-820

The kingston is sh103s390g which I believe is

Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/90G 2.5" 90GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (Stand-Alone Drive) - Newegg.com

Do you just check their website for firmware updates? I've never updated that before.

Also, I don't have any blank discs to burn that to, is there any other way to run the memory test?

I still am confused as to why I don't have a boot option available at times since the install of the new SSD. the new SSD isn't what I have windows on so I don't get why it's affecting it

Sorry for all the questions, I'm pretty inexperienced. I know how to put the pieces together to build a computer, but that's pretty much it.

This is the PNY ssd that I have
ssd2sc240g1sa754d117-820

The kingston is sh103s390g which I believe is

Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/90G 2.5" 90GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (Stand-Alone Drive) - Newegg.com

Do you just check their website for firmware updates? I've never updated that before.
Yes, just go to their site, lookup your model, and they should either have some utility or instructions to update the firmware.

Also, I don't have any blank discs to burn that to, is there any other way to run the memory test?
They have a way to put it on a flash drive and then you can boot off of it that way:
http://www.memtest.org/download/5.01/memtest86+-5.01.usb.installer.zip

I still am confused as to why I don't have a boot option available at times since the install of the new SSD. the new SSD isn't what I have windows on so I don't get why it's affecting it

Sorry for all the questions, I'm pretty inexperienced. I know how to put the pieces together to build a computer, but that's pretty much it.

I've seen weirder things happen with hardware issues.

Okay so I successfully updated the Kingston firmware, but I cannot for the life of me navigate PNY's website to find firmware. Upon some google searches others are saying they are having the same problems and that PNY pulled its firmware updates for America. Any ideas?

Thanks again man, I really appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom