memory errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagasama

disgruntled ex-moderator
hey all i think i have a problem with my northbridge/MCH as my comp started freezing up on me randomly during gameplay.
ran malware bytes.
cleaned registry with ccleaner.
re-installed game.
switched graphics cards.
changed ram.
changed ram slots.
ran memtest and got about 20 errors in the first 5 minutes, with BOTH sets of ram, switched each to diffferent slots and still got bookoo errors.

im online with asus right now pressing them for an advance RMA...but while i wait for their 56K modem to fire up...

is there anything else that would cause errors in memtest besides (obviously) bad memory (which mine obviously isnt since both sets do it), or a bad mobo? can a corrupt windows install cause errors? i know it could cause the freeze. should i reformat before i send my mobo off? they just said they have to check cross ship stock before they issue me an advance rma. by the way their service was great.
i prefer not to reformat if at all possible. if that cant cause errors in memtest, then i am going to say it has to be my mobo.

Well i don't think it is windows since memtest runs before windows even boots up (or at least that is one way of running memtest). So IMO windows is out as the culprit.

Do you truely feel it isn't the RAM? I mean it could be both ram sticks are bad, or that the MB is bad.

Easiest solution IMO is just RMA the RAM and MB. I know that is pretty much the decision you've already come to, but I believe the RAM is bad.

Windows install wouldn't cause errors in memtest. Could be back ram slots in the mobo but those are fairly rare.

If you run memtest ona single stick do they both test bad?

i dont run the ISO of memtest, i run the windows version. so could a bad/corrupt install then be the culprit? i guess i will run the ISO and see if it gives errors as well.

the RAM isnt bad...i have two different sets, my reaper and my media rig set. i have run the test on both of them at different times and switched each set between all four DIMMs and they all come up with errors. the likelyhood of me having two bad sets of RAM at the same time is next to none. i am almost certain at this point that my mobo is freaking out. i think the ram slots have either bit the dust or that darn northbridge is crunked up. it only happens when the rig is under a gaming load, so......

so, like i said i guess i can run memtest before boot and that will tell me with certainty that windows is not to blame.

I'd do the ISO yeah. I've never run the windows version of memtest just for that reason.

Two bad sets of ram would be very rare, i agree. Just might be mobo on this one. Single sticks fail as well?

Yeah I'm thinking mobo, man.

well....memtest ISO running for 20 minutes and no errors yet. in the windows version i would get errors as soon as i started.
i am going to let this run while i go to town for some bidness...if i come back and no errors, im going to reformat my OS partition arrrrrrugh!
so, jor...is it possible that a corrupt windows will show errors in the windows version of memtest? seems likely to me if the ISO doesnt turn up with any errors...
that would be great cos i really dont want to tear my rig apart.

well....memtest ISO running for 20 minutes and no errors yet. in the windows version i would get errors as soon as i started.
i am going to let this run while i go to town for some bidness...if i come back and no errors, im going to reformat my OS partition arrrrrrugh!
so, jor...is it possible that a corrupt windows will show errors in the windows version of memtest? seems likely to me if the ISO doesnt turn up with any errors...
that would be great cos i really dont want to tear my rig apart.

I don't know for sure but I always thought it would since you're using memory in Windows no matter what. The .ISO gets to it before anything else so you know you're getting the best results. I guess we'll know for certain if the ISO comes back clean. It seems to be doing okay so far.

I'd try a repair install before a repartition since that's a pain. Either way, though, if it turns out to be Winders that's a lot better than hardware, especially the mobo. Those are a pain to RMA.

i dont think i can do a repair install with server 08. im pretty sure i cant. i've googled it and that seems to be the consensus. but yeah i'd rather do a complete reformat of my OS partition than remove my mobo and go thru the rigamorole to have it replaced. although asus already approved my RMA...if they dont have a deluxe in stock i will have to do a standard RMA which = no (real...i have the trusty lappy here) computer for God knows how long and that just cant happen. i'd probably buy a new mobo before i did that lol.

Forgot you were on server 08 lol.

Yeah any mobo RMA stinks, I've done a few standard ones and it's always been a 2-3 week thing. I'd rather it be the ram, you can get that back pretty quickly.

lol i wouldnt have to wait if it was the ram i have like 6gb of ddr2 800 just sitting around here ha ha.

no errors yet 40 minutes in. i was reading that yes, windows can introduce errors of its own when you use the windows version of memtest. but if my mobo was bad, ie bad ram slots or NB, then i should still get errors in the ISO memtest, right?

i hope my windows got be-dunkadunked..when i ran malwarebytes i had 130 issues lol. stupid internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom