MB Problem? Video Card? Please help..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baw013

Beta member
The other night my computer started acting funny, lines across the screen and seconds later I'd lose all video feed. I checked it out and my northbridge fan wasn't spinning so I figured that might be the problem. Took the fan apart, cleaned it out and hosed it with wd40, spins again. Put her back together and I start getting another problem. When I power on the PC the bios screen is completely scrambled, the splash screen has sets of lines up and down it. All bios and windows dos screens on startup are scrambled.

The computer only works in safe mode, if I try to turn it on in normal mode it will give me checkered groupings of green lines after the windows loading screen, and eventually just go black. In safe modes however the computer works just fine, just a little slow graphically I assume due to the driverless nature of safe mode.

When I pull up MSI WMIinfo for the status of everything connected to the motherboard I get this under Video Controller:

Name : NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
Display Availability : Running/Full Power
Video Mode : 1024 x 768 x 4294967296 colors
Current Horizontal Resolution : 1024 Pixels
Current Vertical Resolution : 768 Pixels
Current Number Of Colors : 4294967296
Current Refresh Rate : 1 Hertz
Inf Filename : oem27.inf
Driver Version : 6.14.10.7730
Monochrome : false
Installed Display Drivers : vga.sys,framebuf.dll,vga256.dll,vga64k.dll

Also my Sound Device status is unknown on WMIinfo as well. Anybody know what this could be? I've taken it apart and put it back together 3 or 4 times, perfectly. The video card is secure in the slot, fan spins, yadda yadda.

-Bryan

well it still works in safe mode, so the first thing i would try is to uninstall and reinstall the latest drivers. then if that fails, it may be one of two things, A) your PSU can no longer power your video card or B) your video card is kaput.

Oh, also try to re-seat the video card in the slot, it may have jiggled and have a bad connection, you never know.

I hope your mobo isn't dead or dying, the northbridge may have overheated too much....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom