MB loads but HD wont on bootup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

genwarfare

Solid State Member
While I was browsing online today, malwarebytes gave me a popup about a virus that it caught.
obviously I chose to quarantine it, but less than a minute later my computer shutdown and then restarted.
...except upon restart, I just got the black screen and flashing cursor.

if I restart it myself, I get the splash screen for my motherboard and can also access the bios.
however nothing loads after that. no chance to even run in safe mode.
when I'm given the option to boot from my cd drive, my computer doesn't even read the windows 7 cd.

I have no idea if this is virus related or just a coincidence, but my computer is pretty new and always runs incredibly smooth and is very clean.
so I'm doubting that the hard drive would have fried and shut down out of nowhere like this but I suppose I could always be wrong.

I guess I'm just wondering if there's any way to trouble shoot around this, possibly boot into safe mode or perhaps find out if my HD is even still recognized from the bios menu.
without access to my hard drive I'm not even sure where to start with this problem.

lot of important items on that disk, so any and all help is greatly appreciated. thanks
I'm using an asus p6x58d-e, and win7-64.

some updated, hopefully useful, information.
from the bios screen I was able to change the priority of the boot options and got my pc to boot off of the windows 7 cd.
when I chose to run in any of the options (normal, safemode, or last known working config) they just all ask me to install win 7.
however, I'm hesitant to tell it to install windows again because I can't afford to lose what's on my HD, and I'm not sure if that might happen.
I've also ruled out that it's not a bad sata port, as the others dont change the outcome.
the start up dos prompt does show my harddrive listed, and when given the option whether to boot from the cd-rom or the hard drive it also lists my specific model

how do I set up my current HD as secondary drive?

I've got a WD6402AAEX with win7 installed but it's currently not booting. but my computer is still showing and identifying that my drive is there.
(I've already posted this separate problem in the software help section.)
http://www.techist.com/forums/f51/mb-loads-but-hd-wont-bootup-252416/

so my question would be on how, or where to find a resource that will explain how, to set up my current HD as a secondary or slave drive so that I can install windows on another HD and hopefully run some virus scans or pull my important files off of the original drive.

I'm desperate to get my work back asap so any help is appreciated.
thanks

Re: how do I set up my current HD as secondary drive?

1. connect sata power cable to your hard drive.
2. connect sata cable to your hard drive and to your motherboard.
3. ?????
4. profit

please don't double post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

And one thread per topic, I have merged your threads.

ooh okay, noted. sorry about that.
I also posted in two separate threads because I figured one was a virus/software issue and one was just a general hardware question.

ooh okay, noted. sorry about that.
I also posted in two separate threads because I figured one was a virus/software issue and one was just a general hardware question.

Two questions for you, how did you setup your boot order for your pc ?
Also did you have any type of raid mode setup ? windows gets kind of ugly when a certain setup for your system is not all in order.

Also I recommend you download a antivirus and do a deep scan in dos mode to make sure that hdd is alright.
RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10 Explained with Diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom