Maybe a BIOS or RAM issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

gospel

In Runtime
I upgraded (I thought?) from a Soyo K7VME mobo (Via KM400 chipset) to a MSI KT880 Delta FSR mobo (Via KT880 chipset and many other features).
The reason I say I thought this was an upgrade is the system is not running as fast as it was with the old mobo. CPU settings are the same, drivers have been updated, but music processing applications are much slower and games that ran smoothly with the old mobo are now choppy.
If I were guessing I would say it is one of two things
1. The place in the BIOS where you set the amount of AGP memory, should I be setting it to the same thing as my card (128mb) or something else. It says something about "AGP from system memory".
2. The old mobo was not capable of dual channel memory so I just had 1024mb (2 x 512mb) on a single channel. The new mobo is capable of dual channel so I installed the same 2- 512mb sticks but in a dual channel configuration.

Which is better 1024mb on a single channel or split up w/512mb on two channels?

Split the 1024 across your two channels. Check your mobo manual ofr how to do this. To deal with the choppiness, first donwload a benchmark program (I suggest aquamark, the results browser is free and the bench runs quickly. Run the bench mark, then look at their results browser to see if you get around what you should for your hardware (they have filters to sort out people that have similar hardware configurations. If you do get what you chould, then your stuttering is probably due to loading issues. Also, I would try turingin down your settings to the lowest you can and seeing if you still get the problem.

digitaloracle said:
Split the 1024 across your two channels.

This is what I am doing. Maybe I wasn't clear? To set up dual channel you use slot 1 and slot 3 (there are 3 slots). I have 512 in slot 1 and 512 in slot 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom