Maxtor external HD problems NO Power? New Case or enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

purveyor

Beta member
Has anyone had this problem. It does not power up. Someone suggested to buy a new casing or enclosure and it should work fine. How do I do that? What type of casing should I buy..The Drive is a Maxtor One touch III 320 Gig firewire and usb2.0 drive. If it voids the warranty..I don't care. I have my wedding photos on this drive and just need to get them back safe.
Thanks!

Well before you buy a new case and spend more money trying to fix your problem i would take this drive out of the enclosure and toss it in your PC and see if you can get your photos of that way and see if the hard drive boots up.If it does then buy a new case for it and your good to go.

Take the external enclosure apart. Inside will be a hard drive. DON'T TAKE THE HARD DRIVE APART, just the enclosure. Unplug the hard drive from the enclosure and then put it in your PC. It will either have SATA or IDE connectors. IDE connectors look like two row of metal pins that have long ribbon cables and SATA connectors are small L-shaped connectors that use smaller cables (usually red cables). If you have a newer PC you should have both IDE and SATA connectors on your motherboard that you can connect the drive to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom