Maxtor 6Y160P0 showing as 32gb when it's a 160gb harddrive....

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc.safc

Beta member
Hi,

Recently got a virus on my computer so decided formatting and starting fresh would be the best option. I have a 160gb Maxtor harddrive. A few months ago using Maxblast i had a problem where the harddrive would show as 163gb in the Maxblast software but then after partitioning it as NTFS 163gb it would still show in the bios as 32gb. I managed to get round this problem by using Fdisk i believe but it was that long ago i cant really remember what i did.

When i got my recent problem the first thing i did is use maxblast to format and repartition the drive not remembering what happened last time. And as before now in the bios and after reinstalling windows my 160gb drive is showing as 32gb again. I have updated the bios to the latest version had no joy. Messed about with Fdisk to no effect. Tried partitioning software like Acronis and Partition Magic. Everything i do the drive still reports as 32gb. Motherboard is an Asus P5P800-SE.

Anyone any idea's how i can sort this problem as it's driving me mad. Been on 3 days messing about with partition software trying to sort it. Any help would be much appreciated. It's not the jumpers either as some people have told me elsewhere.

Thanks.

Now I have just read this pretty fast but you might of said this.

On hard-drives over 32GB they all have a jumper were the Mastee/slave etc is. Now just have a look to see if the jumper is set to "Limit HDD to 32GB"... This was used for windows 95 and 98 as they did not recignise that much space.

gmanych said:
Now I have just read this pretty fast but you might of said this.

On hard-drives over 32GB they all have a jumper were the Mastee/slave etc is. Now just have a look to see if the jumper is set to "Limit HDD to 32GB"... This was used for windows 95 and 98 as they did not recignise that much space.

It's not the jumpers. I've checked anyway to make sure and there definately set correctly.

The harddrive was fine and recognised as 160gb in the bios and windows until i partitioned it with MaxBlast. Since i partitioned it as 163gb NTFS for windows xp/wsp1 in maxblast it has been recognising as 32gb in the bios and 32gb when i reinstalled windows. Tried allkinds and i cant get it back to what it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom