maxtor 200gb is this the end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xchange

Beta member
i would love if someone can help me.. i record music.. and my hard drive has failed me with a years worth of work on it... in the bios its coming up as a maxtor calypso...under the factory name.. when I turn on the computer the hard drive makes a constant clicking noise. It will not recognize itself as 6Y200P0 maxtor 200gb like it should it comes up in the bios as Maxtor Calypso. I did a search on google that led me a program which says it can be repaired but for 400 dollars any way around this?

In your case this will be difficult to fix. Clicking hard drive is usually the arm of the drive moving back a forth and hitting the outer wall of it's housing. You have a few choices, chances are they probably wont work (sorry) but give them a try anyway. Freeze the hard drive overnight, if the hard drive magically works again be sure to have a backup drive with you to transfer the DATA as the drive typically won't work for more than a short period of time. And the dumber options, use the hitting method... give the drive a light hit. Or you can use another method which I don't reccomend, drop the drive on the floor from about 4 inches off the ground. Other than that, find a company who fixes drives. Obviously you want the data restored and this option will probably prove to be the best. Other than that, sounds like your drives dead. I recently had the same problem.

Large maxtor drives aren't very solid... if you wan't a small drive they're great, but for the larger sizes I would go with Seagate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom