maxtor 160gb problems.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pchelpnow

Beta member
Hi my old 120gb HD was failing so i went and purchased a new 160 gb HD from maxtor...but when i installed and formatted with windows xp pro, the computer only detected 137 gb....and now my computer doesn't function correctly...every program i try to open crashes...for example: i try to open my computer and open C:, i double click and c drive doesn't open...then i try to close the program and the error message comes up the tell me to either end task or cancel....i click endtask but that doesn't even close the program and. Do i need some special addition to the computer to run 160 gb???...
I have an AMD about 1 ghz processor with 512 ram....please help...i don't know what's going on...thanks

u hit the 137GB Barrier , ive got the same problem with my pc . how can i fix this ????

im running Windows XP Pro Sp2

should i just return the 160gb hd and get a 120 gb hd and not go through all this hassle?...i don't really need the extra space...just thought i could do it without any trouble....if i do get the 120 hd there shouldn't be any trouble in formating it with xp pro right?....since it is under 137 gb...?

This is just the most interesting place on the Internet...

Full of info nobody EVER tells you!!

If I'm reading this correctly, if you bought a 160 GB drive, you can partition it into a 120 GB partition and a 40 GB partition, n'est-ce pas?

Z

are u sure i can just do that cause when i put in my windowx xp pro cd the computer only detected around 137000 MB so 137 GB....though i didn't make a partition....if i select the partition option...will it detect the 160 gb???...

Most of the posts in this thread are about the 137gb problem. Look at the provided links before asking your question again.

But if you make a partition that is 130gb and then have another partition consisting of the remaining 30gb. OR as was said in one of the link's update your BIOS your computers manufacturer's home page should have it for download on there websight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom