Marine who needs help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 12-07-2005, 07:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Angry Marine who needs help

I am trying to get a computer to output the same thing to at least two seperate monitors. All I can seem to manage to do is get an extended desktop, which means I can drag things off of my screen onto the other monitor instead of displaying the same thing on both monitors which is what I am trying to do. When I uncheck the "Extend my windows desktop to this computer" on another display it disables the monitor, and when I enable the display it automatically checks it.

In this Compaq (I know Compaq sucks) computer I have 2 video cards. One onboard, and one PCI. The PCI video card has 2 outputs, the onboard has one. I have reached a point where in Windows XP I can output to 3 seperate monitors utilizing the extended desktop feature, which means I am outputting from the PCI video card and the onboard video card. In order to do this I used a microsoft work around in which you must disable hardware acceleration on each driver. Many things I try and do end up in blue screen loops with a stop 0x000000EA which I looked up and that is how I found up the MS work around. Also windows XP auto detects and installs the drivers for all 3 adapters. I have tried disabling the onboard video card in the bios which makes no difference.

the reason I need this to output the same thing too two different displays is because there are two projectors in a conference room. 0ne is a smartboard with a touch screen that is difficult to see. The other projector displays to a white backdrop so that people do not have to squint. If I can get the third working also it would be good because then I would not have to unhook any connection when a laptop is brought in.

not sure what other information would be helpful.
I have directX 9 installed, and all latest windows updates.

The PCI slot video card has this information for it under the adapter tab
Chip Type:3Dlabs PERMEDIA2
Memory Size:8MB
Adapter String:Permedia 2
Bios Information:1.44

The onboard video card has this information under adapter
Chip Type:Intel(R) 82815
DAC Type:Internal
Memory Size:32MB
Adapter String:Intel(R) 82815 Graphics Controller
Bios Information: (Blank)

Any other information you might need to offer some ideas up I can post if you ask.
Closed Thread