Major screen corruption, don't think video card is issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckman341

In Runtime
About 3 weeks ago I started seeing major screen corruption while playing video games and when booting into vista with the aero desktop. XP actually loaded ok but again, screen corruption in games. My first suspect was the video card since it is almost 3 years old now.

Well I went ahead and replaced it with an evga gtx 260. Now, a couple weeks after installing that I'm getting some of the same exact screen corruption in games but NOW I even getting it in bios when the computer boots. Can't even read the bios setup screen now.

My motherboard is an evga nforce 680i. I've been monitoring the temps on my system and also have an extreme amount of cooling in my system. CPU idles at 34, GPU at 44, gpu memory 35. MCP (southbridge) is high but always has been since i got the board, runs at like 57C. Never been happy with evga's crappy proprietary joint northbridge/southbridge cooling system. Everything else in my system runs nice and cool except that piece of junk southbridge.

I seriously doubt it would be another video card gone bad :/ I have a 700 watt power supply, have the power cables running to the video card as required. My battery backup reports I'm using ~200 watts total with my machine running.

Anyways, I'm looking for some advice where to look next. Do you think it could be the motherboard gone bad? Maybe the southbridge? Doesn't that handle the pci-express slots?

quick update, after leaving the computer idle for about 15-20 minutes I can boot it up with no corruption. This is very odd because like I mentioned my system runs very cool. I have a PCI slot blower, 2 quality fans front and back of the case and a zalman cooler on my cpu.

Maybe this casts more suspicion on the super hot MCP?

In addition when I just booted up and switched to my secondary hard drive with XP on it, my keyboard stopped working (g15 plugged into USB). Tried getting into bios to switch back to vista hard drive, system wouldn't recognize that I was hitting delete. This is starting to look a lot more like a motherboard failure...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom