major problems with drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

preyingdragon

Solid State Member
hey guys and girls,

I just picked up a Dell Dimension XPS T500 computer from the thrift shop today.

Here is my problem:

When I got it, there were two different drives it in, one was dvd and one was cdrw. Well the C DRW worked but the DVD did not so I took that old one out and put a different one in, well when I done that, now NEITHER of the units are working.

I mean they open, close, etc but under my computer, the drivers dont even show up there. i have checked and make sure that my IDE 2 cables and power cables were snug, checked device manager and nothing was listed there. I even disconnected the DVD rom and tried the CDRW drive by itself and it still is not even showing up under my computer.

I don't know what else to do. Can someone please help me?

Thanks

look in the bios and check if the bios detects it or not. If it doesn't are you sure you used the right ide cable and slotted in the right ide slot? if you have a spare computer try putting in that computer and see if it works.

ok,

if bios is the "setup" screen that you have to press f10 or delete to enter when starting the computer, then yes it does list it there, but once the computer boots back up, its not listed in device manager or in the "My computer" section.

The IDE ribbons are connected correctly, i double checked that already. and in the device manager, it does not list a cd drive so i cant try to delete it and restart and hope it comes back.

Like I said, I have already disconnected the DVD rom drive to see if the CDRW would work again by itself and it wouldnt. What else can I do to fix this problem?

Kris

are the jumpers on both drives set correctly...i usually dont like to leave them in cable select mode, i usually set one to master and one to slave

Ive never been too good at doing that.

How do I set one as master and one as slave and also how do i know what to set as master and which one to be set to slave?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom