major problems with drives - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 09-02-2007, 12:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default major problems with drives

hey guys and girls,

I just picked up a Dell Dimension XPS T500 computer from the thrift shop today.

Here is my problem:

When I got it, there were two different drives it in, one was dvd and one was cdrw. Well the C DRW worked but the DVD did not so I took that old one out and put a different one in, well when I done that, now NEITHER of the units are working.

I mean they open, close, etc but under my computer, the drivers dont even show up there. i have checked and make sure that my IDE 2 cables and power cables were snug, checked device manager and nothing was listed there. I even disconnected the DVD rom and tried the CDRW drive by itself and it still is not even showing up under my computer.

I don't know what else to do. Can someone please help me?

Old 09-02-2007, 01:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to advancedgeek Send a message via MSN to advancedgeek Send a message via Yahoo to advancedgeek
Default Re: major problems with drives

look in the bios and check if the bios detects it or not. If it doesn't are you sure you used the right ide cable and slotted in the right ide slot? if you have a spare computer try putting in that computer and see if it works.

Graphics card: Inno3D Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS @ 640/940 (core/memory)
MB: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 v3.3 F12
RAM: 2 Kingston HyperX DDR2 800MHz (4GB total)
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6320 @variable rates (will fix my fan problem soon and overclock high again)
HSF: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme & Antec Tricool 120mm fan
PSU: Delta Serverpower 550W
HD: Seagate 400GB ST340032AS & Excelstor 80GB (both SATA)
Case: don't know what case it is but it is very crappy
Optical Drive: Lite-on 16X DVD+&- RW DL (died) using a CD-ROM drive until I get a new blu ray burner or whatever i can get

**been afk from tech-forums for a while so this is the updates specs**
Old 09-02-2007, 05:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

if bios is the "setup" screen that you have to press f10 or delete to enter when starting the computer, then yes it does list it there, but once the computer boots back up, its not listed in device manager or in the "My computer" section.

The IDE ribbons are connected correctly, i double checked that already. and in the device manager, it does not list a cd drive so i cant try to delete it and restart and hope it comes back.

Like I said, I have already disconnected the DVD rom drive to see if the CDRW would work again by itself and it wouldnt. What else can I do to fix this problem?

Old 09-02-2007, 01:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

are the jumpers on both drives set correctly...i usually dont like to leave them in cable select mode, i usually set one to master and one to slave
A+ and MCDST Certified
Reformatting is the n00b answer to BSOD
Record of Viruses found on a customers PC: 76211 :D
Old 09-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ive never been too good at doing that.

How do I set one as master and one as slave and also how do i know what to set as master and which one to be set to slave?

Closed Thread