Magnet to computer help

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellwood2

Solid State Member
Hi, so right now i hate my computer 32 bit,not admin (but know pass) , system recover doesnt work ,system recover disks dont work .So im just going to take a magnet to my computer I DID backup.Does this cause a fire or shock or anything that can harm me.I know your think no dont do this but the computer is kinda old.

A magnet doesn't cause anything like that... all magnets do is produce a magnetic field and disrupt other magnetic fields if strong enough. Although, you'll need a pretty strong magnet nowadays for that to work, since HDD's already have magnets in them.

You'd have better luck using something like KillDisk or DBAN to completely wipe (or zero-out) the drive if that's what you're looking to do. Or you can just use something like GParted to format the drive as well.

Do not disassemble a hard drive. If you disassemble it, it will pretty much become useless because tiny particles of dust will collect on the platters and can interfere with the read/write arm.

Avoid using a magnet...it most likely won't do anything unless you have a large, extremely powerful magnet.

Just use one of the tools that I suggested (KillDisk, DBAN, or GParted). We have a guide for GParted on our site, located here: http://www.techist.com/forums/f127/gparted-usage-tutorial-224994/

It is a free tool, and only requires a blank CD to burn the image file on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom