Machine won't POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

macdude425

Member (again)
My dad's brand new computer (Sempron 2600+, MSI mobo, etc.) will no longer post with the floppy drive hooked up. I always get something like "Floppy error (40)", and then I get "DEL to enter Setup, F1 to Continue". The drive works, and the cable is good, and the settings in BIOS are correct, so does this mean that the floppy controller is shot, or something else?

TIA.

Why don't you remove the flopy and see if it POSTS without it, then if it does we we will go from there, or you can enter BIOS and tell it to halt on all errors cept floppy.

is it possible that the ide cable on the floppy drive is backwards?

003 said:
is it possible that the ide cable on the floppy drive is backwards?

IDE cables are not used on floppies, IDE cables are 40 Pin while floppies are 34 Pin.

That is a possibility, if the drive light stays lite then they are backwards, make sure Pin 1, the colored tracer ar lined up to pin 1 on floppy and to motherboard.

It is more likly that the Floppy disk is bad or the cable or the controler is bad.

Ste said:
Why don't you remove the flopy and see if it POSTS without it, then if it does we we will go from there, or you can enter BIOS and tell it to halt on all errors cept floppy.
It will post WITHOUT the floppy installed. I hooked up my dad's old machine not too long ago and the drive and cable worked, so it's not that.

Now I may sound like an idiot here, but this drive is about fifteen years old (I pulled it from an old 386). Could age have any affect on the board not recognizing the drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom