Machine will not boot - clear CMOS does not help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2009, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Machine will not boot - clear CMOS does not help

Hey guys, it's been awhile since I have posted here and I know your expertise has helped me quite a bit in the past. I am having a weird issue with my dad's computer. To give a brief history, it started out with when his machine booted up nothing but a black screen would show (was not even getting the mouse cusor like the known ksod issue) but it would finally show the windows boot screen and load fine. I thought I would try clearing the CMOS, and after doing so it will not get past this black screen. The computer looks like it is running, and the keyboard and mouse appear to be functioning.

His system specs are a new AMD Phenom II Deneb with an ASRock 780GX mobo with Vista 64 and also has two ATI 3000 series graphics cards in crossfire (sorry can't remember the exat ones off hand). I have also tried to connect to each video card in all the DVI sots to see if that was the issue with no results. Another strange thing is you get the "beep" on boot like it normally does, so other then no visual it appears that it is loading. Another thing I noticed though is when I control alt delete it reboots, so I know it is not booting into Windows.

I was thinking about just reformatting and starting fresh but I have no clue how to do this because we cannot even get to the bios boot. If you guys have any suggetions I would greatly appreciate them. Also, like I mentioned, I have tried to clear the CMOS several times to no avail.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default Re: Machine will not boot - clear CMOS does not help

Take out both cards and try one at a time. (Video cards) If that doesn't work, try taking out the ram and trying each stick alone.

ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 : AMD FX 9370 : Corsair H100i GTX Cooler : 16GB Corsair Vengeance Blue 1600 (4x4Gb) : XFX 7970 Ghz 3GB x 2 : PNY XLR8 256GB SSD : Seagate 1TB : Antec True Power Quattro 1000W : Thermaltake G41
Old 05-30-2009, 10:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Thank you for the reply. I will give that a try and post back my results.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Ok, after pulling out the bottom card, it booted with no problem. I then plugged the card back in and hooked up the crossfire bridges and it also booted. I think the issue might be with the crossfire or ATI's drivers. My dad has been having a lot of problems with the crossfire, so I might suggest not using it for now unitl things can get settled.

Thanks again for the help, you guys are always great.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble

Thread moved to Hardware Troubleshooting subforum

Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 5 Note SM-N920IConsole : Play Station 4
Closed Thread