Machine will not boot - clear CMOS does not help

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevedub

In Runtime
Hey guys, it's been awhile since I have posted here and I know your expertise has helped me quite a bit in the past. I am having a weird issue with my dad's computer. To give a brief history, it started out with when his machine booted up nothing but a black screen would show (was not even getting the mouse cusor like the known ksod issue) but it would finally show the windows boot screen and load fine. I thought I would try clearing the CMOS, and after doing so it will not get past this black screen. The computer looks like it is running, and the keyboard and mouse appear to be functioning.

His system specs are a new AMD Phenom II Deneb with an ASRock 780GX mobo with Vista 64 and also has two ATI 3000 series graphics cards in crossfire (sorry can't remember the exat ones off hand). I have also tried to connect to each video card in all the DVI sots to see if that was the issue with no results. Another strange thing is you get the "beep" on boot like it normally does, so other then no visual it appears that it is loading. Another thing I noticed though is when I control alt delete it reboots, so I know it is not booting into Windows.

I was thinking about just reformatting and starting fresh but I have no clue how to do this because we cannot even get to the bios boot. If you guys have any suggetions I would greatly appreciate them. Also, like I mentioned, I have tried to clear the CMOS several times to no avail.

Take out both cards and try one at a time. (Video cards) If that doesn't work, try taking out the ram and trying each stick alone.

Ok, after pulling out the bottom card, it booted with no problem. I then plugged the card back in and hooked up the crossfire bridges and it also booted. I think the issue might be with the crossfire or ATI's drivers. My dad has been having a lot of problems with the crossfire, so I might suggest not using it for now unitl things can get settled.

Thanks again for the help, you guys are always great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom