M.2 Drive Issues - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2016, 07:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Night Ninja

Default M.2 Drive Issues

Here's my build: Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 960 4GB Superclocked, SPEC-ALPHA ATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker

Everything is put together with exception of the graphics card that I'm waiting on. The problem is that I can't seem to get the BIOS to see the M.2 drive. Windows also doesn't see it if you try to install it. I've tried a multitude of options, but I can't seem to locate the correct setting to get the drive to work. Any thoughts?

Things I've tried (some seem far fetched, but I went with the threads I could find around this):
- Disable Secure Boot
- Enable only UEFI Boot
- Flash BIOS to latest version
- Enable RAID (this gave me additional M.2 options that I didn't see prior)

Essentially, if any of you have a guide to walk me through the BIOS settings to get the M.2 recognized, that would be perfect. I can reset to defaults and start from there, but I'm otherwise up against a wall with this.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: M.2 Drive Issues

Do you have your HDD in port 1? M.2 in SATA mode disables port 1 of SATA. Some bios requires you to enable the M.2 port as well. This board requires you to disable Hyperkit in the bios to enable M.2 port.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Night Ninja

Yes, Hyperkit is disabled by default and has stayed that way. I have no other HDD's connected to the board right now, just the M.2.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

I see that it has a notch on both sides. Have it in the right way?

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Night Ninja

Yup. I thought about that, as stupid as that sounds, and flipped it over just to make sure but you can't put it in the wrong way.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru

Sounds like you got a bad part then.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Night Ninja

Drat... that's what I was afraid of, but I wasn't sure if I was missing something in the BIOS somewhere.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Build Guru

You could always try to contact that "awesome" Asus CS. *Walks always giggling*.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Night Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
You could always try to contact that "awesome" Asus CS. *Walks always giggling*.
I've already thought about that. I've got a buddy that's going to test the drive in his rig on Friday. If that doesn't pan out, I'll be contacting Asus... Ugh... not looking forward to that.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightShadow View Post
I've already thought about that. I've got a buddy that's going to test the drive in his rig on Friday. If that doesn't pan out, I'll be contacting Asus... Ugh... not looking forward to that.
If it's within the retailer's return/warranty period (usually 30 days)...contact them instead of Asus.

Buddy had his Asus 1080 die on him, and he was gonna contact Asus, but he contacted Newegg instead and he got his $ refunded (there weren't any replacements at the time).

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote