Low headphone volume. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 03-05-2008, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Low headphone volume.

Hello forums!

I've been having a lot of trouble recently with my computer giving off low sound for headphones.

The problem: No matter what headphones I use, or whether I plug them into my speakers, cd, or sound card, it all comes out with a very low volume. A week ago I was trying to figure out how to get my computer to stream music onto Ventrillo and sadly found out that my POS SigmaTel built in sound card simply could not do it. I tried messing around with the drivers; uninstalling and installing new ones until it finally dawned on me that I needed a better sound card. (New sound card is in the mail as I type this, still even if it does fix it, I would like to know what has been going on here for knowledge sake.)

Unfortunately after doing this my headphones started to put out about 50% less volume then they were and have lost aprox. 80% bass. Now this does not change regardless of where I plug the headphones in. The headphones themselves work fine, in fact any normal plug-in headphones give me the exact same problems. It's quite frustrating.

So I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling up-to-date drivers, I've gone back and used old drivers, reinstalled my chipset, uninstalled and reinstalled all codec's. I've spat on my sound card, kicked the tower, and cursed it out and still nothing ! Suppose I should add that I'm using XP sp2, incase I'm missing something.

I'm no pro with all this but it just feels like my headphones for some reasons are not meeting up with any type of equalizer. I'm willing to try a number of suggestions, feel free to share!

Old 03-05-2008, 10:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default Re: Low headphone volume.

Well kicking may be the right tact for your frustration but might not help the tower. LOL I haven't ever had this type of sound chip but have you gone into your sound control panel and set the sound in there and under the advanced tab you can set your bass. You probably already thought of this but thought I would mention it just in case.
Closed Thread