Low FPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtRaVa

Beta member
Hi, I have searched these forums and found people with similar problems but no fullproof answers as of yet.

Basically several months ago I started to get poor fps on CSS, it used to run ok at around 60 fps (still quite low for my rig) but then it started hovering around 40, and now it stays at 10-20 which is unplayable. This by the way, is with everything on the lowest setting. My current graphics card at the time was an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB. I put up with this for a few months and just didn't play CSS much.

Then I bought BF2, and with everything on low it was playable, but then 2 weeks ago it would start crashing to desktop, a lot. No error message, all that would happen is it would go black and appear at desktop, much to my frustration.

I ran spyware and virus scanners etc and found no traces of anything, my CPU idles at about 0-5% most of the time. 250 MB of PF is being used with 800 MB unused ram.

I finally bit the bullet and thought my card must just be dying and because there seems to be no other problems with my pc other than the graphics I decided to upgrade it.

Yesterday I got my new card, an XFX GeForce 6800 GT 256 MB (all I can afford being a student) hoping the problem would be solved.

I uninstalled all ATI drivers and installed the new card with the latest drivers from the nVidia site. Oh dear, same problem. Nothing has changed, BF2 still crashes, CSS still runs with 10-20 FPS on LOW setting which is ridiculous for a 6800 GT so something else must be the cause, but I have no clue what.

Here is the spec of my PC:

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz 800FSB Prescott
Motherboard: MSI PT8 Neo-LSR
Video Card: XFX GeForce 6800 GT 256 MB
RAM: 1024MB PC3200 DDR400
Hard Drive: Maxtor 160GB 7200RPM
PSU: Q-Tec ATX 400W Low Noise PSU

Any ideas on what to do would be much appreciated, I'm at my wits end with this.

Thanks in advance, Mike.

I think a reformat may be in order. Its always much better to reformat when moving from ATI to Nvidia, because uninstalling the drivers really doesn't get rid of everything.

I was gonna say...

Check the Temp of your gpu... take some canned air to it.

But...

beedubaya said:
I think a reformat may be in order. Its always much better to reformat when moving from ATI to Nvidia, because uninstalling the drivers really doesn't get rid of everything.

Sounds like a good one too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom