loud screetching noise! when i turned it on - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 11-03-2005, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to homerj14
Default loud screetching noise! when i turned it on

hey i turned my comp on this morning.. and all of a sudden this loud screaching noise went on the computer booted fine... and nothing looked wrong.. i checked the fans everything fine my comp was runnn pretty cool at 65 Farenheit.. sounded very wierd like someone was kinda drilling into the side of my case.. well i turned it off then back on and it was fixed.... no noise anymore... help will be appreciated.. -john

My BF2 account Homerj14
Support our troops...
Old 11-03-2005, 12:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
AKA ComatoseClown
Send a message via AIM to H4x3r Send a message via MSN to H4x3r

was probably a fan vibrate...i used to have this happen in my old system

Old 11-03-2005, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Might be power supply fan or could even be a cable or something that got in one of the fans way.
John Cambece
Old 11-03-2005, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Yea most of the time that drilling sound is a fan hitting something. Those are really the only moving parts in the case that would give off a sound resembling any kind of drilling noise. My suggestion would be to go in and check your fans and clear them of anything that might be touching them. Even close things can be touching once the fan is turned on.
Life is like a womens underware. Hard as hell to get into, but fun as sin once you do.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

if it is a fan , it will not get better, it will get worst till it stops turning and if it is your processor fan, you could lose your Processor. If the noise is constant you can open up your pc and momentarily stop each fan with a pencil, finding the one that makes the noise.
Closed Thread