A loud pop from the power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traditz

Beta member
Yesterday me and a friend was building me a new computer and got everything hooked up(or so we thought at the time) and booted it up with no problems. Then we noticed we forgot to hook up the CD drive so we opened it back up and hooked it up.

Then this time when we turned the power supply switch on there was a loud pop that came from it and the only things that seem like they are working are the fans and the led lights inside the case.

Could it be the power supply at fault or could it have caused a problem somewhere else like maybe the graphics card or motherboard itself?

I would get a new powersupply . you really cant diagnose anything else .

it is likely that something in the psu blew and it cant supply enough power to start the system

what brand and model psu is it?

Hello,

Was there a burnt smell? Did you see any smoke?

Agree. It's highly likely that a capacitor in the PSU is blown. Same happened to me once on an old PC. Scared the life out of me!

Buy a new PSU. Better yet, if the PSU is new and still under warranty, then get a refund or replacement from the retailer.

I don't remember a burnt smell and I was looking away from the computer when it was turned on, so I turned back and looked and thought I might have seen a small bit of smoke but didn't say anything since I only had a quick glance.

I've got a new power supply on the way so I'm gonna try that. I'll post back on how it goes(Probably be in a few days, having to order one).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom