Loud computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceblade42k

Solid State Member
Over the past week or so (getting colder- winter), my PC noise has been getting louder and louder (AMD 1800). There are 2 fans in my PC (motherboard+powerpack). The powerpack was replaced 6months ago, and I still remembered it being quite loud regardless. (can be heard next in the room) Any reasons/suggestions to reduce the noise of my PC? (obvious answer is to remove the fans, but I am still a beginner in computer hardware)

P.S - Why are the ones at work dead silent even though they are 2.4ghz?

You can go with watercooling if you can afford it. Or you can use those vibration dampeners. I don't know how well they work but those are a few suggestions I can think of.

its called "case" not "powerpack" , open the case and listen closly to determine what fan is the noisy one , and just get a new silent one (with 30dba or less noise level) , fans dont have "ghz" or "mhz" , they have rpm/cfm/dba thats about it

Re:

Hello,

...most probably meant Power Supply Unit...

Might be your fans...and if so you'll know it's coming from them. However, the system should lower the speed of your fans if it's cool enough.

Do you know what your temperatures are? You might be able to check in the BIOS. However, the AMD Athlon XP processors don't have onboard temperature sensors on the chip so it depends on whether your motherboard has one near the socket.

Anways...you can download SpeedFan from http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php and if it can detect any sensors on your motherboard, then it will give you temperatures of the CPU, Hard Drives, overall system, as well as tell you how many Revolutions Per Minute your fans are rotating at.

If you find the temperature and RPM numbers, either in your BIOS or using SpeedFan, post them here.

Oh...and perhaps I should mention....you can control the speed of your fans using SpeedFan. However, the settings will only apply when the application is running. Although it may be a short term solution, I wouldn't recommend it because it won't fix what's causing the problem.

The most effective and inexpensive solution would be to replace the PSU with a decent 120mm fan one, replace the fan on the HSF or replace the entire HSF, and buy one or two silent case fans.

Might run you up to like 150 bucks, but you'd have a good PSU, and a really quiet computer.

Dusting out the fans/internal parts of the computer will make your system much quieter and run better.

Just do this once a month, more if you have pets.

also, maybe its case vibration. For example, you may not have the hard drive completely secured and that causes some noise or maybe its a cheap drive where you are hearing the bearings. Best thing is to describe the noise (is it buzzing, whining, rattling, etc) and the location.

Re: Re:

Thanks for all the helpful feedback. Sorry for the confusion; yes when I said powerpack, I meant the power supply unit. The PC sounds like a lawnmower when it is first turned on, and the noise gradually decreases to a 'wind blowing noise' (noise intensity similar to an airconditioner 2.5hp when they're not idle; quite loud)

Alvin.C said:

...most probably meant Power Supply Unit...

Do you know what your temperatures are? You might be able to check in the BIOS. However, the AMD Athlon XP processors don't have onboard temperature sensors on the chip so it depends on whether your motherboard has one near the socket.

If you find the temperature and RPM numbers, either in your BIOS or using SpeedFan, post them here.

My results are (been using it for 1hr):
Fan1: 6490RPM
Fan2: 0RPM

Temp1: 40C
Temp2: 22C
Temp3: 20C
HD0: 33C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom