Loud computer - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 08:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Loud computer

Over the past week or so (getting colder- winter), my PC noise has been getting louder and louder (AMD 1800). There are 2 fans in my PC (motherboard+powerpack). The powerpack was replaced 6months ago, and I still remembered it being quite loud regardless. (can be heard next in the room) Any reasons/suggestions to reduce the noise of my PC? (obvious answer is to remove the fans, but I am still a beginner in computer hardware)

P.S - Why are the ones at work dead silent even though they are 2.4ghz?

Old 06-01-2006, 10:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

You can go with watercooling if you can afford it. Or you can use those vibration dampeners. I don't know how well they work but those are a few suggestions I can think of.

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 06-01-2006, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

its called "case" not "powerpack" , open the case and listen closly to determine what fan is the noisy one , and just get a new silent one (with 30dba or less noise level) , fans dont have "ghz" or "mhz" , they have rpm/cfm/dba thats about it
Old 06-01-2006, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

he might be referring to Power Supply
80gb + 250gb WD HDDs
X-FI Xtreme Music
DVD/CD-RW Drive
Old 06-01-2006, 02:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re:

Hello,

...most probably meant Power Supply Unit...

Might be your fans...and if so you'll know it's coming from them. However, the system should lower the speed of your fans if it's cool enough.

Do you know what your temperatures are? You might be able to check in the BIOS. However, the AMD Athlon XP processors don't have onboard temperature sensors on the chip so it depends on whether your motherboard has one near the socket.

Anways...you can download SpeedFan from http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php and if it can detect any sensors on your motherboard, then it will give you temperatures of the CPU, Hard Drives, overall system, as well as tell you how many Revolutions Per Minute your fans are rotating at.

If you find the temperature and RPM numbers, either in your BIOS or using SpeedFan, post them here.

Oh...and perhaps I should mention....you can control the speed of your fans using SpeedFan. However, the settings will only apply when the application is running. Although it may be a short term solution, I wouldn't recommend it because it won't fix what's causing the problem.

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 06-01-2006, 02:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

The most effective and inexpensive solution would be to replace the PSU with a decent 120mm fan one, replace the fan on the HSF or replace the entire HSF, and buy one or two silent case fans.

Might run you up to like 150 bucks, but you'd have a good PSU, and a really quiet computer.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to talldude123

Dusting out the fans/internal parts of the computer will make your system much quieter and run better.

Just do this once a month, more if you have pets.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

also, maybe its case vibration. For example, you may not have the hard drive completely secured and that causes some noise or maybe its a cheap drive where you are hearing the bearings. Best thing is to describe the noise (is it buzzing, whining, rattling, etc) and the location.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 06-02-2006, 10:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Re:

Thanks for all the helpful feedback. Sorry for the confusion; yes when I said powerpack, I meant the power supply unit. The PC sounds like a lawnmower when it is first turned on, and the noise gradually decreases to a 'wind blowing noise' (noise intensity similar to an airconditioner 2.5hp when they're not idle; quite loud)

Quote:
Originally posted by Alvin.C

...most probably meant Power Supply Unit...

Do you know what your temperatures are? You might be able to check in the BIOS. However, the AMD Athlon XP processors don't have onboard temperature sensors on the chip so it depends on whether your motherboard has one near the socket.

If you find the temperature and RPM numbers, either in your BIOS or using SpeedFan, post them here.

My results are (been using it for 1hr):
Fan1: 6490RPM
Fan2: 0RPM

Temp1: 40C
Temp2: 22C
Temp3: 20C
HD0: 33C
Old 06-02-2006, 12:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to talldude123

You might want to install just one more fan. They're $4 at a local store...might want to try one out.

Closed Thread