Loud Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

asd821

Beta member
I have recentley bought a new hard drive and installed it. I installed ubuntu linux on it and it works fine except that it extremley loud. Whenever I boot into linux (which is on the 2nd hd and mounts the 1st hd), the computer gets loud. While I am in Windows (which runs only on the first hd and doesn't mount the 2nd hd) the computer is virtually silent. I am pretty sure the noise is coming from the fan. I have no experiance with computer fans, but I am wondering if I need a new fan. Any help is appreciated.

Try controlling the fan through the BIOS. You may be running it through a program in windows.

Do you have a Cool N' Quiet feature? If you do, I'm not sure if there is a version for linux.

I am going to reboot now and look in the bios for fan control. Is there any risk of overhating in I turn down my fan?

Make sure your fan is connected the the motherboard.

Check your temperature monitor after you turn the fan down. There should be an "AUTO" selection to controll the fan according the temperature.

It doesn't sound like a fan problem to me, its your new hdd that is loud, What hdd did you get? You may just have to live with it or if it truly is overly loud the hdd could be no good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom