lots of problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mendozer

Solid State Member
im no noob, but somethings up with my computer.
first, i cant seem to remove a few programs for good. Mcafee and windows media player both messed up so i tried uninstalling but it wudnt work so i did registry deletions and some parts are undeleteable and eventually become undeleted and pop back in there.
second, my browser is messed. i had mcafee for a week, didnt like it cuz it lagged so i deleted it (or tried to) and still its messed. i lost the ability to get redirected to a new url, and some parts of pages dont even load up (like entry forms, certain graphics, etc)

this is the most messed up i have ever seen my comp

what do i do?

You could try system restore if its on. Otherwise backup all important data, reformat and reinstall windows would do the trick. Have you checked for viruses and spyware and have you defragged and ran a scandisk?

system restore wont even open up. not even in safe mode. if i do have a virus, it was a **** good one that went on before i got my new antivirus (zonelabs). i really do not want to reinstall windows since i did that 3 months ago :( what would defragging HD do? ill try it tomorrow tho.

ill keep posting my results

pfft 3 month i've done it 3 times in the last 2 days... true that was due to some dodgy drivers but still.. if you have the means to back up everything just reinstall windows i'd say its the easy way out...

You can't uninstall Windows Media Player since it is integrated into the Operating System :( So I would try reinstalling it to try and fix any broken/orphaned registry keys.

As far as your McAfee is concerned, if using the Add/Remove Programs applet doesnt work you can remove it manually.

McAfee provides instructions on doing that and can be found here.

Let us know how it goes.

i tried reinstalling it but the same popup occured. since my internet browsers ****ed too i guess i have to reinstall windows. when i get home ill try that link for mcafee

vaderpro said:
You could try system restore if its on. Otherwise backup all important data, reformat and reinstall windows would do the trick.

The fix all!! You have already spent twice as long trying to repair this then it would take to do a fresh install!!

mendozer said:
system restore wont even open up. not even in safe mode. if i do have a virus, it was a **** good one that went on before i got my new antivirus (zonelabs). i really do not want to reinstall windows since i did that 3 months ago :( what would defragging HD do? ill try it tomorrow tho.

ill keep posting my results

were you having problems with graphics and such loading on a webpage before or after you installed zone alarm? i have the zone alarm security suite and it blocks certain images on webpages. you have to mess with the settings to stop it from doing that.

k i reinstalled all my stuff. but now after updating and everything my comps super slow and laggy. like scrolling in programs (including internet) is very slow and jerky, and i have cable. i checked for defragging but i dont need to. i did spyware scans, etc still super slow. so wtf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom