Lost a drive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Angry Lost a drive

I was going to put my WD Black 1.5TB into my computer, as for some odd reason, it doesn't share it over the network in my server. *shrugs*

So I put it in, had to connect from the other side, being a HAF. and I had to reposition the bay, and I do so, look at back, the SATA connecter is busted off the drive. Like, WTF?! So I try to connect the bare wires to the connector, no dice.

The question, therein, would WD just change the PCB board? Keeping the data intact? I have a lot of movies on there that I just copied from DVD. Would take awhile to back those up all again. I'll be sure to contact WD, but just from your experience. As I'll be busy this weekend, it'll have to wait.

RMA time....

Old 08-06-2011, 12:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knowitall!

Default Re: Lost a drive

I doubt any hdd mfrs make claims that they will preserve the data on a drive sent in for repair. My guess is that once repaired they would automatically format and test it before returning. The only way to know for sure is to contact them.

If you read the warranty it states that physical damage, such as broken connectors, is not covered. It also states that they reserve the right to decide whether to repair or replace the item and that they are not liable for loss of your data. Link to WD Warranty Policy

My guess is that they will void your warranty.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

The least they can do is send the same product back. I have a chance. If not, I'll just get a new drive, no biggie.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

If you can find a used drive on ebay or craigslist you maybe able to swap the board out yourself.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Do you have a soldering iron MoM? This happened to a friend of mine and I was able to repair it for him to extract his data. You will need to take a sata cable and cut away the plastic from the end, Then you will have to solder the small pins on the drive where the tab used to be to the small pins on the sata cable. This is not pretty lol but it is the easiest way to get your data off safely. As far as changing the board I believe you need to open the drive to free the wiring. That is a big risk to your data I think. I can repair it for you so you can save your data if you don't feel up to it. Just depends if paying to ship it here and back is worth what you have on there.
Radeon HD 5670 @ 860mhz gddr5
Antec High Current Gamer 520
InWin Br665 matx
CyberPower Green CP1500 900W UPS
Acer 20" G205hl
Camera Canon PowerShot SX10is
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSoD View Post
1) Be Respectful Treat other members as you would have them treat you. This means no flaming, insulting, or belittling other members.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
Do you have a soldering iron MoM? This happened to a friend of mine and I was able to repair it for him to extract his data. You will need to take a sata cable and cut away the plastic from the end, Then you will have to solder the small pins on the drive where the tab used to be to the small pins on the sata cable. This is not pretty lol but it is the easiest way to get your data off safely. As far as changing the board I believe you need to open the drive to free the wiring. That is a big risk to your data I think. I can repair it for you so you can save your data if you don't feel up to it. Just depends if paying to ship it here and back is worth what you have on there.
Usually there's just a connector on the board that you can disconnect and the PCB will come off after you undo a few screws. Depends on the drive, though.

The soldering idea would be the best bet if done correctly.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 08-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Usually there's just a connector on the board that you can disconnect and the PCB will come off after you undo a few screws. Depends on the drive, though.

The soldering idea would be the best bet if done correctly.
Yea I never dared really mess with a drive that had something important on it. I chose to solder it for my friend rather than having to call and say "well see this is what happened..." I figured even if i messed up on the soldering someone more experienced could swap the board off it. Turned out it wasn't that hard.
Radeon HD 5670 @ 860mhz gddr5
Antec High Current Gamer 520
InWin Br665 matx
CyberPower Green CP1500 900W UPS
Acer 20" G205hl
Camera Canon PowerShot SX10is
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSoD View Post
1) Be Respectful Treat other members as you would have them treat you. This means no flaming, insulting, or belittling other members.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

WD is now sending me a replacement. We'll see if they backed up the data. I asked them that. They do do that as well.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

You got lucky then, I do wish they made them SATA connections a bit stiffer, or made the design so there was something to support the cable, I see them things breaking off all the time. But, what I do when I have a hard drive die physically, is take the logic board, and save it, as a lot of times, you will end up with a hard drive with a bad board, and will be close enough that another drives board will work on it, and allow you to extract the data. Was always fun doing that.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yea, the gave me a new one. Same capacity, 1.5TB. Works great.