Losing display, restarting, artifacts, not sure what's causing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer was operating fine the past 3 weeks and starting last night was having problems.

Computer locked up where I couldn't move the mouse or use the keyboard. Restarted and everything worked, I leave my computer on overnight and go to sleep, wake up in the morning and my monitors screen doesn't come on but the Green LED is flashing.

I reboot and it does the same thing. I end up pulling the power cable to my computer and turning off PSU, plug it back in 5 minutes later and the screen comes on. It says "Overclocking Failed" despite the fact I don't overclock. I press F2 to "restore" the default values.

I'm back in windows, works fine for about an hour or 2 and I get a blue screen that says

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. The problem seems to be caused by the following file : Ntfs.sys"

I reboot and it's working again for a while until my screen keeps going off and on at random times, and then my screen has all these weird artifacts around words.

my computer locks up and I restart to see a blank screen again with flashing LED, pull the power on the computer and it comes on, but this time it's stuck at the POST screen and theres tons of artifacts on the screen at POST and it won't get past it. I reboot again and it says theres a windows file missing and that I need to repair Windows. I reboot again and go into BIOS and I'm getting all these weird artifacts on the screen again. I reboot once again and it boots up like normal.

I ended up shutting down my computer and am now posting this from my laptop.

Just joined the Forum but I have a very similiar Monitor issue with a P4C800-E Deluxe ASUS MOBO.

The monitor in my case is actually completely powering itself off at random intervals from as little as 5 minutes to up to 30 minutes. No Green Light. No Amber Light. Power Cord remains plugged in and the power strip has been tested on known good connections.

Just no display on the monitor.

However I do get a USB device disconnect sound notification but this should happen as the ViewSonic VP201s has a 5 port Hub on it and has the mouse using that connection. Otherwise the Monitor is completely losing power all together.

The only fix I have found is not actually rebooting but pulling the power cord on the Monitor and then giving it a few minutes and plugging it back in. "Duh-Dunk" and the Monitor comes back on again and the USB HUB is active again. Issue repeats though. (Thinking of testing without the HUB being actively used and see if I get the same Audio USB "Duh-Dunk"??)

I am thinking it might be something specific to this MOBO series but this is the only other post I have found so far even close to the same issues. I have been lightly looking aorund 2 weeks now.

Let me save you some pain by saying that in my case and for security issues and implications I did a complete HDD wipe and clean. Then installed a completely new Windows XP OS from the original MS Disc. Then installed all the MS patches and updates. Same issue with a fresh image and registry. So do not waste your time there and possibly lose your data.

It even has gone down at the BIOS post messages if left alone at those screens. This leads to me thinking it is something in the MOBO that passes POST but happens afterwards but can happen pre-OS loading. Very Odd.

Will keep you posted if I find anything out more. Going to play with the OS system files and log files by marking the time of the disaply going out and the log files but not certain it will show any system events.

BTW the HUB has nothing to do with it just tested.

Forgot to mention in the above posting.

Something that is a work around to the Monitor turning off completely is to turn the Monitor off from the button on the front of the Monitor. Give it a few minutes then turn it back on. Will stay on all day that way. Give it more than 5 to 10 minutes and we are back to pulling the power cable again.

I am going to try a RDP remote desktop to the machine later next week and see if remote desktop can render the display when the local Monitor is powered down. Should be interesting at the least.

Forgot to mention in the above posting.

Something that is a work around to the Monitor turning off completely is to turn the Monitor off from the button on the front of the Monitor. Give it a few minutes then turn it back on. Will stay on all day that way. Give it more than 5 to 10 minutes and we are back to pulling the power cable again.

I am going to try a RDP remote desktop to the machine later next week and see if remote desktop can render the display when the local Monitor is powered down. Should be interesting at the least.

I think there is something physically wrong with my motherboard that is causing it. I've had the motherboard for about 4 years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom