Losing display, restarting, artifacts, not sure what's causing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PILMAN

In Runtime
Hello, not sure how to start off this post but in the past few months I had been having issues playing games to the point they were unplayable and figured i had a failing video card. Never had issues playing videos or just using my computer for regular tasks except playing games which would give me all kinds of weird colorful artifacts and textures. Come about 2 months later, I can't even play videos and sometimes when just using my computer I get strange artifacts on my screen. I make sure it's not the monitor by using a 2nd one and not to mention I was able to print screen which showed it wasn't hte monitor. Computer starts to become unusable, I lose signal to my monitor and try starting my computer up but nothing to the monitor. I pull out my soundcard and it boots up again, sound card has a bent resister and figured maybe it was causing something to short out.

My brother lets him use his Radeon 9600 to see if it's my video card, I swap it with my radeon 9800 pro and everything seems ok for a few days until I start getting strange artifacts on the screen again. I remember he had a similar problem but claimed it was his monitor so I figured maybe his card was bad too. Today, the problem gets worse to the point my POST is printing weird characters and the windows bootup screen is acting all glitchy, I get my old computer out of my room and swap the Radeon 9600 with a GeForce 2 MX.

So today, no artifacts at all, can play games fine and using my computer all day without a issue with the GeForce 2, figured it was probably the video card. That is until I'm chatting with some friends and i'm going through pictures on my computer to post on my website and my monitor goes completely black. Someone was talking in voicechat and my voice just cut out as if my computer just died, 5 seconds later it comes back on and I hear the person talking again. I figure "that's wierd", restart my computer and the problem happens again when opening google talk. Computer basically restarts. I open NOD32 and my monitor goes blank and I manually restart. I went to play a video and no problems so far but there is clearly something wrong here and I am trying to figure out what could be causing it.

Possible causes I can think of is maybe a PSU going bad? Perhaps not enough power and causing stuff to restart? My other guess is my MOBO or CPU is going bad? Any suggestions because i'm lost at this point.

Hey

How old is your motherboard? It may be that the motherboard is faulty somehow and is causing your Gpu to play up.

This may sound stupid but check and see if theres a lot of dust in your PC, that was my issue with performance :p

From the looks of it, it does seem the PSU is going bad. Try another power supply, if possible.

Maybe a good reformat, with a fresh install of Windows.

I bought the motherboard in 2003. It's a Asus P4C800 Deluxe.

Actually I remember I accidently yanked on my microphone which was connected by USB and that caused my screen to say no frequency until I pulled the sound card. It's kind of weird because I only have the issue at certain times of the day, generally during the night. Only reason I mentioned that is maybe it is directly related to the motherboard? I'm running a scan right now and i'm not having any problems.

PSU is a Thermaltake 480 watt silent power. The PSU sounds likely but in the event it is the motherboard or CPU, how common is it for those to fail? I've yet to have one fail with the exception of a friend frying my CPU because he forgot the put the heatsink back on.

Try turning down/off anti - aliasing and lower resoltuion,Refresh rate

(Idea by my mate josh)

Refresh rate is 60 hz, using a LCD and native resolution of 1280*1024 (standard for 19") anti aliasing has always been off.

Update: No problems at all yesterday which is strange. Have yet to reboot.

Having the problem again today, monitor went blank while I was listening to music (the music was still playing) with the green light flashing then came back on then it went off and on about 3 seconds later. Somethings definitely screwy.

Did it just recently when I tried scanning my C drive, maybe my harddrives going bad?

Got another update, tried to get in safe mode, wouldn't load up and artifacts covered the screen. Also currently if I click on say my computer and try to drag it or a webpage window, the screen goes off then back on and my computer locks up. I'm currently trying to backup files to my laptop. I noticed a file when I started up called "movfinder" which was a little strange. I am really confused what could be the problem at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom